Fuzy

Chapter 24

Cali Woods

My mother hadn't looked at me yet. After my dad told her the news she simply smiled and nodded. I was shocked at her reaction-I expected her to say something snarky that was funny but made you rethink something about yourself, those were always her favorites to throw at people.

My phone buzzed in my lap. My heart fluttered as Dante's caller I.D. lit up my phone. I quickly declined-not wanting my mother to question.

I turned to my mom who was worrying her bottom lip between her teeth, I knew she needed to get something off her chest so I brought up the topic that had haunted her ever since the divorce, "When did he say the wedding was?"

My mother shrugged, "Three months maybe?"

I quirked an eyebrow, "What makes you say that?"

My mother laughed coldly, "Babies are due nine months after conception."

Maybe she was delusional.

"Yes, I learned that in seventh grade."

"Then you should understand. The blonde beauty is at least five months pregnant," My mother looked over at me with a crazy daze in her eyes, "Come on, I was not the only who who saw that bump! That dress didn't cover it that well-don't give her credits!"

My mothers voice raised a considerable amount making me cover my ears and whine, "Mom!"

I burst into a fit of giggles as soon as she pulled into the driveway. Her face looked wild and her hair was ratted at the top of her head from sticking her head out the window and yelling stuff about Allie. Although we both had nothing against Allie we both needed the stress reliever of taking in the news that the man we both grew with was giving himself to another woman, another family.

My mother calmed her laughter and looked over at me, her hand patting my knee, "When are you leaving, babe?"

My face dropped. I didn't know when. Did I even really want to leave home?

"I was gonna go on a little vacation with Lily," I finally answered, "She's in Atlanta now, so we were gonna make it into a fun weekend."

My mother nodded and climbed out of her car, leaving me to trail behind her into the house. I could tell she was disappointed but I didn't know my answer yet. Did I even want to continue college that was too far away from my mother who obviously needed company?

"What about you? When do you move in with your hot boyfriend?" I joked.

My mom laughed, "If only."

"What if I brought you back to Ohio with me? I've got some young professors." I raised my eyebrows in a flirtatious manner at my mom who seated herself on the couch.

She seemed to really consider it, her eyes darted to me, "Would that be okay with you?"

My eyes widened in shock, "Uhm-uh I guess you could. I mean if you want."

My mother shrugged and kicked off her shoes, she positioned herself so she was lying on her back, "I'm guessing you're leaving for Atlanta tonight?"

I nodded my head.

"Get your stuff ready and I'll drive you."

I jogged up the stairs to my room to see Buster lying on my bed with his head between his paws. I sat next to him and ruffled his fur.

I hadn't unpacked since I got here-wanting to keep everything organized and to besmirch easier when I left.

Dante's name lit up my phone again, "Hello?"