His Sudden Interest

Chapter 8

Cali Woods

The lacy material of my black party dress was making me squirm due to the itchy texture rubbing on my back. I had bought the dress a year ago to wear to Lacy's twenty second birthday party. She had, obviously, chosen it and insisted I wore it.

Unfortunately, I never got to wear it because on her birthday, February 21st, Lily got the stomach bug. So my 'party dress' was sweat pants and tees with an irritable best friend to take care of.

I nervously bit my nails when I realized her birthday was next month, and being me, I usually start planning at the beginning of January. Amelia and Cole's wedding day was on the eighteenth of January, also. Two weeks away and I still didn't know if I would be able to fit in the bridesmaid dress.

An even more embarrassing detail too, was the fact that every teen or adult had to bring a date. Amelia liked it when everyone had someone to dance with and spend time with. Said, "At my senior prom I didn't have a date. I wouldn't want to put anyone through that."

My phone buzzed from its place on my vanity. I pushed aside my makeup, New Text: Lily

Angel's Italian.

Although Angel's Italian was my favorite restaurant I still felt a little dread about going. Cody completely blew me off at the party and quite frankly, I didn't want to be ignored.

I checked my reflection in the mirror. My dark hair hung in loose curls below my breast and my makeup was done as perfect as I could get. I wasn't really a professional in the cosmetic field. Explaining why I always had Amelia and Lily over to freshen me up before something big.

After looking at myself for a while I nodded my head and stood up, grabbing my keys and purse and heading out of the door.

My red jeep was parked behind my small apartment in an alleyway. At night, the alleyway looked pretty sketchy but in daylight you could see the roses and the white picket fence separating my row of apartments from the others.

The cold air had me wrapping my arms around my shoulders and debating whether or not to go back in and grab a coat. Or go back inside, put on my pajamas, grab a hot chocolate, and turn the heater up.

I jogged the rest of the way towards my car the best I could and quickly got in, starting the ignition and heater. It would only take me a few minutes to get to the restaurant.

I caught a glimpse of a black car and stopped my car to get a better look. It looked exactly like Dante's black camaro. But I could be just seeing things, seeing how much he affected me last night.

The restaurant was strangely empty. Only a few cars were parked in the front. One probably belonging to Lily.

My thoughts were proven right as Lily stepped out of the passenger side wearing a long, red, strapless dress. Daniel stepped out of the drivers side and made his way to Lily, grabbing a hold of her hand.

Adoration rushed through me at the small act and I felt myself envying Lily for always having a cute relationship.

Lily noticed me then, waving her hand in the air like a mad woman. I rushed to her, hoping to get inside quickly and leave the cold weather, "Cali, you look gorgeous!" Lily gushed, eyeing my dress. She gave me a knowing smile.

"Thank you. But it's kinda cold so can we-" I gestured towards the restaurant causing Lily to giggle and head towards the entrance.

Daniel said his last name to the waitress who scribbled out his name on a paper and grabbed our menus, leading us to a table in the back corner.

The walls of the restaurant were a dark brown and held numerous Italian decorations. A huge chandelier was handing from the center of the building, putting a romantic feeling to the restaurant.

Once seated Lily explained that we'd wait for our extra person until we ordered.

Unfortunately, we didn't know that' be twenty minutes later.

"Sorry I'm late guys," Cody rushed in, in an black tux with his hair brushed across his forehead,"Traffic got bad and I couldn't get out of the office."

Funny, there was no traffic when I was driving and it was a Sunday. Lily told me they picked today because it was the only time he wasn't going to be at work.

Cody took a seat next to me, knocking into my arm a little too hard and causing me to hit my funny bone. I gasped and grabbed my elbow, causing a loud laugh from Lily and a smirk from Daniel. Cody grabbed my elbow and apologized.

"It's fine," I mumbled gripping my elbow, "It'll go away soon."

Cody nodded and took his seat. He grabbed the menu and began searching through it.

"I thought you weren't going to work today?" Lily asked Cody as she sat down her menu.

Cody shrugged, "Had to get some stuff done," he caught her eye over his menu, "Catch up work."

Lily rolled her eyes and intertwined her fingers through Daniel's. They were soon in their only little world and conversation.

Cody sat down his menu eventually and looked at me, really looked at me. His eyes traveled up and down my body as I tried to act like I wasn't noticing. After his little look he looked back up at my face, "You look lovely tonight."

I blushed a little, "Thank you."

Cody smirked, "That dress-"

He was cut off by the waiter, "Would you guys like to order?"

Throughout the whole night Cody was stealing admiring glances towards me and continuously touching my thigh when he was talking to me.

To say the least: I felt a little uncomfortable at his new sudden interest.

+