Bakery Run-Ins

Chapter 2

Cali Woods

"Today, it being the first day and all, we'll go over something simple," My forty year old agriculture teacher said as he entered the room,"Surely everyone has seen a cow before? So why don't we look at the life of a cow."

A couple of people groaned in the class. The main reason I'm studying to be a vet is because I adore all animals and am truly committed to helping them. Unlike some, who obviously want to do it for the money.

The people who groaned sat in the back who were also throwing paper balls was a perfect example of those kinda people. Like really? We're in college, not tenth grade. Unfortunately, my seat was in the second to last row and it was hard to pay attention with all the ruckus behind me. Peeking a look over my shoulder I saw two boys and a girl.

One boy had a clean cut look with light brown hair, he wore a polo with khakis, obviously he had some money. The other was blonde, his messy hair fell down to his shoulders and he wore a wife beater and khaki shorts-he looked as if he was ready for a swim. The girl seemed to fit in more with the brown haired boy, her fingers were a bright blue, manicured to perfection and she wore clothes similar to mine, preppy. Her blonde hair was curled and hanging down past her breasts, she could pass as the twin of Lily if she wasn't so pale.

She caught me staring and gave me a wide white smile and waved her hand at me, her multiple bracelets jingling.

I smiled back friendly and quickly turned around, I need to get better at looking at people without it being obvious. At least she was nice enough to wave.

Someone cleared their throat beside me and whispered, "Excuse me?"

Turning my head I came face to face-literally-with a blue eyed red headed girl. I jerked my head back, "Yes?"

"Do you have a pencil I can borrow?" The girl asked, giving me a pleading look, "I can't find mine and I'm about to have a panic attack."

My eyes widened as I grabbed my binder and began rummaging through it. I can't handle people who have problems as such-one of the reason I want to be a vet-I never know the right words to say to calm someone down. I blew out a relieved breath as I felt a pencil underneath my palm. Handing her the pencil I said, "Here you go. No need for a panic attack."

The girl have me a wide grin, "Thank you so much. My names Rachel, by the way."

"Cali."

We exchanged nods of recognition and a low gasp came from my side. Okay, people need to start being quiet. Turning my head again, a boy about nineteen or twenty had his mouth wide open. His long black hair covered his eyeliner eyes and his tee read: Metallica. I raised an eyebrow at him, "What?" I mouthed.

The boy cupped his mouth with one hand and turned away from the teacher, "Did you just give her gum?"

I sighed aloud, again, we're not in tenth grade. I shook my head no and turned towards our teacher. His back was turned to us and his shiny, bald head eliminated off the lights from the ceiling, a glare of the light shot right at me.

The band boy gasped and lowly whispered to the whole class, "She's got gum."

Every head slowly turned towards me, people gave me hopeful looks while some reached out a palm and mouthed 'please'. This is so not happening. I shook my head fiercely, "He's lying." I whispered back.

Everyone gave a quiet groan and rolled their eyes, turning back to their notes. Great, I'm already making enemies.

Band boy tsks his fingers at me and continues drawing in his scrapbook. The bell suddenly rings and people stood to their feet, hurriedly walking out of the class room.