Running

Chapter 31

Dante Valentino

I gave Cali one last look before exiting the room with Daniel and Blake.

I was angry with myself for putting her in a position like that. It scared the hell out of me when the guy grabbed her. It scared me even more that she was acting so nonchalant about it. I had my suspicions that she wasn't telling me something about her past. Well, she really hadn't told me anything: I told her about mine but she didn't tell me about herself.

I smiled at the realization, she just kept surprising me.

"He's been keeping tabs on her, Valentino. He's been watching her every move."

I stopped at the center of the hallway and turned towards Daniel, using my height to intimidate, "How?"

Daniel visibly gulped, "He must've bugged one of her bags or something. If he bugged her phone you would've been able to tell."

I nodded my head in understanding and mentally kicked myself, of course he had bugged her.

"We'll leave first thing in the morning. We're taking Lily and Cali back to Ohio-they have a wedding to attend."

I was losing my sense of knowledge. My father had raised me to know everything about everyone and trust no one. Cali was invading my every thought. But I didn't have the heart to push her away. She currently held it in her own hands.

~

Cali Woods

I tossed and turned in the hotel bed. Everything about it just felt wrong. The blankets were too scratchy and whenever I kicked them off I'd get extremely cold. But when I put them on I'd get extremely hot. I just couldn't win.

I let out an agitated sigh and slapped my hands on the comforter, leaving it halfway on my body. I had completely given up on sleeping for the night.

Events from the last two days seemed to be invading my mind. My mind telling me that wherever we were was not good and I needed to get out.

Dante.

Dante would help me out. He had to. I'd just have to ask him when he got back if I could go home.

My anger for him was dwindling away quickly. The longer I stayed in this dark hotel room the more I wanted his body pressed against mine to reassure me everything was fine. Even if he didn't say anything.

The door to the hotel room squeaked open. Letting light from in the hallway flood in and blind me momentarily. I squinted my eyes, sitting up and shading my eyes.

Dante quietly walked in, already realizing I was awake but didn't say anything.

He disappeared into the bathroom for a bit reappearing without any shirt or pants, only his black boxers. He switched off the light, leaving the room once again black, only the little bit of light from the moon shining through the curtains.

"Is everything okay?" I asked as he slowly climbed into the bed.

Dante nodded, grabbing my waist and pulling me closer to him. I had to lift my hands up to stop myself from slamming into his chest and crushing my nose.

"What're we going to do?" I wondered aloud, wrapping my own arm around his torso.

Every bit of anger now completely gone.

Dante reached up and began stroking my hair with his hand, "We're leaving in the morning."

I pushed myself up, "What?"