Black

Chapter 23

Cali Woods

My mother woke me up the day of the funeral with sad eyes and trembling fingers.

She smiled down weakly at me, "It's time to get ready, the funerals in an hour."

I nodded my head and sat up, my head spinning from the lack of sleep. I had been tossing and turning all night thinking of Dante-I just couldn't get him out of my head.

I pushed my blankets off my legs and swung them over the bed. My bare feet touched the cold wooden floors. I reached over to grab my phone. No text message from Dante was present: dampering my mood even more.

I laid my phone on top of my dresser and grabbed a fresh pair of undergarments, quickly changing into them.

I fast walked to the bathroom that still had all of my metals from the past years hanging on the door knob and quickly got in. My room was strangely too cold and the cold was not my buddy.

I turned on the hot water in the sink and cupped some water in my hands, bending over I splashed the warm water on my face.

Today was going to be hard. I wasn't one to really cry but once I saw someone cry I'd be a goner. I could practically see myself balling in the front row, stretching my mothers sleeve. But it was my granny's funeral: I had a good reason.

I returned back into my room just in time to hear my phone chime. It was a text from Dante:

Be strong today, piccolo. If you need to talk I'm always here.

My heart lurched once again because of him.

Walking to my closet I spotted my black dress I was to wear today. My grandma had always been one for traditions.

I pulled the long sleeve-knee length dress over my body-adjusting it as I tried getting it over my butt. I cursed myself for have an apple butt.

The black, lacy dress reminded me so much of my grandmother. Whenever we went shopping for new church dresses she'd always choose a lace dress that was long sleeve. She'd say it was 'something I'd wear'-I smiled at the memory.

After adjusting the dress around my body I took a seat at my vanity. I looked over myself in the mirror. My sad hazel eyes made me look like a deer caught in headlights. My ratty brown hair was piled on top of my head in a bun-making me look even more younger.

My mother appeared in the doorway as I grabbed my foundation.

Her eyes looked over me in admiration and she smiled over at me, "You look wonderful."

"I thought grandma would like this dress and it was half off," I laughed lightly, "Since I'm on the college student budget."

My mother laughed at my lame joke and took her spot behind me, looking at me in the mirror, "I see you still don't brush your hair before you go to bed."

I shook my head as she undid my hair, "Not enough time."

My mother frowned and patted me on the shoulder, "There's always time to keep yourself looking good."

I rolled my eyes, my sarcastic, snarky mother was starting to peek through.

She grabbed my brush off my vanity table and brushed my hair behind my ears, "I think you should keep your hair natural today, my momma was always jealous of your wavy hair."

I smiled weakly and finished the eye makeup.

My mother looked sadly at me through the mirror, "Are you okay?"