Chapter 4 : Ollivanders

After having lunch at one the best restaurants in the alley, Harry then proceeded to buy the rest of his things at various shops and systematically called an elf to take them back home. Finally, it was time for his wand. He had been looking forward to this for a long time. He ducked into a side alley next to Ollivander's shop and morphed back to his original appearance. He didn't want anyone to know of his powers. Harry was nothing if not careful. He truly believed that knowledge was power.

He entered the shop and immediately felt a presence to his left though he stayed calm. His grandmother's portrait had informed him about the old wand maker's habit of creeping people out by sneaking up on them.

"Good afternoon Mr. Ollivander" he said to the shocked old man, but the wand maker recovered quickly.

"Ah yes. I thought I would be seeing you soon Mr. Potter" he said. He then gave a small speech that described his parents' and Voldemort's wand. He then pulled out a long tape measure. "Which is your wand arm?"

"I'm ambidextrous sir" Harry replied. When he had first started school, he used to favour his left hand. But the teacher repeatedly rapped his knuckles so that he would use his right hand. The Dursleys had just used this as an excuse to beat him up and starve him as they called it freaky. Once he escaped his tormentors, he decided to practice writing and magic with both hands and so far, he had been very successful at it.

"Oh ho, this is a surprise. Hold out your arms then please" he said. The wand maker measured him and explained about his wands. "Right then, let's try this shall we? Beechwood and Dragon Heartstring. Nine inches. Nice and flexible. Just give it was wave".

He tried one wand after another, but Ollivander snatched them all back. Harry was getting a little restless as it had been more than an hour, but he was patient. He knew Ollivander was searching for something.

"Tricky customer, huh? Not to worry, we'll find the perfect match for you. Hmm. I wonder, an unusual combination. Holly and phoenix feather, eleven inches, nice and supple"

Harry took the wand and he immediately knew it wasn't for him. It let out a wailing noise and he all but chucked it back at the old wand maker.

"Curious. How very curious. I expected that wand to be a perfect match for you. You see, the phoenix, whose tail feather resides in that wand, gave another feather. That wand was the one that gave you that scar. Albus was so certain that this would be your wand. No matter, I'm at a loss as you have tried every wand in my shop" said Mr Ollivander.

Harry wasn't ready to give up. He had undergone a lot in his short life and had a lot to prepare for. He wasn't about to be denied a wand! He closed his eyes and spread his magic outward. He sensed a powerful connection from something at the back of the shop. It seemed to be calling out to him. He pulled with his magic and with a bang, a wand came flying out of the back of the shop, right into Harry's outstretched hand. He closed his eyes and felt his magic connect to the wand. Ollivander watched in shock and fascination as Harry glowed in a silver light, and red and silver sparks shot out of his wand illuminating the shop. Slowly, the glow faded and when Harry opened his eyes, his green orbs were slightly glowing.

Ollivander seemed unable to speak. He stood there for several seconds, staring at Harry. Finally, he seemed to have gathered his wits about him and whispered "Oh dear Merlin, I can't believe it! My dear boy that is a highly unique wand you have there. It wasn't created by me, it was created by my ancestor more than two thousand years ago. It is so unique that wand makers all over the world have come to study it. Some have tried to duplicate it, but the materials are so rare and they could never seem to get it right. I myself have failed at it."

Harry wore a calm expression but on the inside, he was freaking out. "What do you mean Mr Ollivander? What is my wand made of?" he asked.

The old wand maker took a few seconds to reply. "That wand Mr Potter is made from the oldest yew tree known to us. The tree is highly magical and is 5000 years old and can be found in Wales. The core is a Nundu heartstring. A nundu is considered by most as the most dangerous magical creature in existence. It is so powerful that no less than a hundred wizards are needed to subdue it. The wand also has thin strips of nundu fang. It is one of a kind, and perhaps one of the most powerful wands I have ever seen, as it channels the raw power of the wizard better than any other that has passed through this shop. It is 14 inches and rigid. I never thought I would ever sell this wand to anyone. But as I always say, the wand chooses the wizard. I think we can expect great things from you Mr Potter, great things indeed."

Harry was stunned as he never in his wildest dreams expected something like this. He looked at his wand and It was indeed a work of art. It was somewhat light brown, with three strips which he guessed was the fang ivory. There were tiny runes etched on the handle too. He looked up and asked "Thank you, sir. How much does it cost?"

"That will be 30 galleons, Mr Potter"

Harry nodded and paid the price and bought a wand care kit and left the shop. He ducked into a side ally, changed his appearance and hurried down to Knockturn Alley. He had some important business there.

Harry entered Knockturn Alley will an air of supreme confidence. He made sure to keep his hood up and activated the notice-me-not charm on his silver chain around his neck until he reached his destination. He entered the shop he was looking for.

"I'm in need of a wand using a core which I can provide. Is that acceptable?" he asked as soon as he saw the owner at the counter.

The people in Knockturn Ally were very skilled as well, but since they dealt with shady things, the general public didn't acknowledge them. But Harry had detailed information about the useful shops in the place.

The wand maker looked at him and said, "If the core has a connection with you, I see no reason not to."

Harry took out a box from underneath his robes. The wand maker opened it and looked at the single feather inside it. "A thunderbird feather. They make powerful cores. It's almost unheard of being used anywhere in Europe. Well, let's see which wood suits you so that I can create your wand. Just touch them and pick up the one that you feel is most suited to your magic."

Harry nodded and felt the different woods with his hands. He closed his eyes and pulled, and a jet black piece of wood flew into his hand. "Ebony. This wand would be amazing for all branches of magic, particularly Transfiguration."

"I also require two of your top of the line wand holsters" he said to the wandmaker. Harry paid for them, slipped into the darkness. He touched his Potter ring and portkeyed back home to Potter castle.