Chapter 43 : Yuletide at Potter Castle

The fireplace at Potter Castle burst into emerald flames as two people stepped out. Harry flicked his fingers and the soot on both of them disappeared. "Welcome to Potter Castle, welcome home" he said, smiling at her.

Daphne took in the red and silver colours of the walls and the large Potter crest too. "Looks a bit Gryffindorish, don't you agree? Remove the silver and replace it with gold and it would be perfect" she said with a smiling smirk.

Harry burst out laughing but didn't voice out the irony of her statement. It was highly speculated among various people in Wizarding Britain that a daughter of the Gryffindor family had married into the Potter family. But what was unknown to anyone other than the members of the House of Potter was that Godric Gryffindor's only daughter, Geraldine Gryffindor had married Alan Potter. Godric considered Alan his prodigy, having personally trained the young Potter heir in the field of Battle magic. Harry didn't know the exact story, but he knew for a fact that Godric Gryffindor had spent his last days at Potter Castle. In fact, the Founder's body was buried in the Potter family's graveyard as well. So it was quite funny when Daphne described the decorations as Gryffindorish, even though the family crest and colours were chosen long before the time of Godric.

Harry gave her a tour of the large castle and described a bit about its history. After that, he took her to his study and gave her a small box. "What's this?" asked Daphne.

"A gift, for Yule" replied Harry with a smile.

Daphne opened the box and her eyes went wide when she saw what was inside. She took out a beautiful heart shaped Platinum Locket, studded with multiple diamonds. It really was spectacular. "Open it" whispered Harry.

Daphne opened the locket to find two pictures of her and Harry together. In one, both of them were blowing kisses at each other; it was really adorable. The other one showed both of them hugging each other, nuzzling the other's face adoringly. The picture really was amazing and spoke volumes. Harry took the chain and gently placed it around her neck. Daphne hugged him tightly, idly noticing that he didn't stiffen to her touch as much as he did before. "Thank you. I love it" she said.

"You're welcome" he said, kissing the top of her head.

"By the way, what is it with you and diamonds anyway?" she asked teasingly. "First the ring, then the bracelet, and now the locket; I must be the luckiest girl in the world."

Harry blushed, just as the portrait of Dorea Potter burst out laughing. They turned to look at her when Harry's painted grandmother said "You'll have to blame me for that I'm afraid. I was very fond about diamonds when I was alive and it looked like it passed on to my grandson as well. He constantly wears a diamond chain designed for men around his neck, do you know that? And now it looks like it is his preferred gift to you as well!"

"Well, I certainly don't have room to complain, Lady Potter. He really has an exceptional taste" said Daphne, touching the locket. "Mother would be so jealous; Father is horrible when it comes to buying jewellery. I should know; he bought me something that looked so terrible that Mother was horrified. So I'm actually very lucky" she said grinning.

"Before we start our discussion, I have something for you as well" said Daphne, interrupting Harry who was about to open his mouth. She called for a house elf that brought her a rectangular package. She handed it to Harry and said "Happy Yuletide, Harry"

Harry slowly opened the package. It turned out to be a book, stitched in beautiful deep red leather, with the Potter crest embossed on the cover. He opened it and gasped. On the first page was a picture of his parents, holding him as a baby. Written below the photograph, was clearly in Daphne's neat handwriting 'James, Lily and Harry Potter. 31st July 1981. Potter Manor'

He turned the pages and found more pictures of his parents. Many of them were of James and Lily growing up at Hogwarts, pictures which were taken when they had started dating, pictures of their wedding, pictures of baby Harry, pictures of Harry riding on Padfoot and Prongs, Harry riding on a toy broomstick around the manor's grounds, and more. Harry couldn't see more as tears were blurring his vision. He turned to face Daphne who said "I got these pictures from your parents' friends. Lord Black was more than happy to provide them to me, but I'm pretty sure he was kicking himself for not thinking of the idea first. I didn't know where to find pictures of your mother until I remembered you telling me that Alice Longbottom is your godmother. So I asked Neville to look for any pictures he could find during the summer, and thankfully he found quite a few. As for your baby pictures, well, let's just say that your house elves really adore you, not to mention they wanted to get to know their future Lady Potter and see if I was up to their standards and worthy of being your wife. The good news is that I passed with flying colours! They now -"

She was cut off by Harry placing his lips on hers. Daphne was momentarily stunned by the kiss, but closed her eyes and put her arms around his neck. Their lips moved slowly against each other, and after few more seconds, they broke apart. Harry immediately hugged her tightly and cried silently into her neck. Daphne didn't know how to deal with an emotional Harry, but she gently stroked his hair and hugged him back. After a minute, Harry breathed deeply and got his emotions under control.

"Thank you, Daphne. This is the best gift anyone has ever given me. Thank you so much" he said, his voice thick with emotion.

"Anything for you Harry" she said, smiling at him.