Chapter 31 : Mandrakes

The next morning he went out to the lake, finished his morning run and exercises, took a bath and came to the Great Hall for breakfast. Just as last year, just as he entered the students stopped talking to stare at him. He calmly went to the Ravenclaw table and started eating.

He had just finished explaining the rules of a wizard's duel to a third-year muggleborn when Professor Flitwick made his appearance and handed him his timetable. "Congratulations on your achievement Mr Potter. I was quite shocked to see you at the championship. But I have to say your performance was outstanding. I was most impressed with your silent casting. Most adult wizards have problems casting spells silently so it was really shocking to see a twelve-year-old boy do it naturally. And that technique you used in the finals; both the trick with the wand hand and the suspended water were sheer brilliance. It was on par with the Under-16 championship to tell you the truth. Well done" he said smiling.

Harry smiled warmly at him and said "Thank you, Professor. I had no idea you were present on the second day, but your compliment means a lot to me."

He looked at the timetable and groaned. "What wrong Harry?" asked a fellow Ravenclaw Anthony Goldstein.

"We have Transfiguration and Potions with the Gryffindors this year. And that means I have to-"

"-deal with Granger who'll probably try to do her best to one up you. Tough break" finished Padma Patil.

"Yeah. Come on, we're late for Herbology" he said, grabbing his backpack and made his way to the greenhouses.

They entered the greenhouses to find an annoyed Professor Sprout dealing with Gilderoy Lockhart. "Oh, hello there! Just telling Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow. But I don't want you-"

"Greenhouse three folks" interrupted Professor Sprout.

"Harry! I've been wanting a word if youaaaa!" he said just as he slipped and fell face first into a pile of dung. Harry smirked. He really loved wandless magic. It might not help in using advanced spells, but it worked for pranks and in using mind magic. The class laughed and Professor Sprout did her best to hide her vicious grin as well. Lockhart fled to his classroom as fast as he could.

"Alright class, today we will be working with Mandrakes. Can anyone tell me what they are?" she asked.

After waiting for several seconds, waiting to see if anybody else knew the answer, she turned to Harry and asked "Mr Potter, what can you tell us about mandrakes?"

"A mandrake is a powerful restorative agent, and in some cases a catalyst if you will. They are primarily used to return those who are transfigured or cursed to their natural state. You also have to be careful while dealing with them because the cry of a mandrake can be fatal to anyone who hears it" answered Harry.

"Excellent. Twenty points to Ravenclaw. Now, these mandrakes are young, so their cry is not fatal. But they can still harm you. So put on your earmuffs and work with them" she said and demonstrated it for them.

After getting cleaned up, he was mentally preparing himself for Granger's reaction in Transfiguration. He entered the classroom and sat down next to Neville.

"What's with you?" asked Neville with eyebrows raised.

"Granger" he replied grimly. Neville gave a cough, but it couldn't hide his snicker or his grin. "Yeah, yeah. It's going to be hilarious" Harry said and rolled his eyes.

"Don't look, but she's already sending death glares your way" Neville whispered.

"I have no intention to" replied Harry.

Professor McGonagall marched into the classroom and began. "Before we begin our new course, we will first review what we have learnt the previous year over the next few days. Let us start with the exercise of turning a match into a needle and the other of turning a beetle into a button" she said.

Harry supervised Neville who was steadily improving in Transfiguration ever since he got his own wand last November. He managed the transfiguration after his second attempt and McGonagall came over. "Very good Mr Longbottom. I expect to see better progress in my class this year. Mr Potter, congratulations on your achievement. Professor Flitwick showed me the memory of the final duel and I have to say I'm impressed. Conjuration, even if it was leaves at your age is most impressive. I also expect silent casting from you in every class. Go on, give it a try. I'd like to see it with my own eyes" she said.

Harry nodded and did the necessary wand movements. The match changed into a perfect needle and the beetle turned into a button. "Very good Potter. I have no idea how you developed this skill; it's not taught until sixth year, but well done. Twenty points to Ravenclaw" she said and walked away.

The Ravenclaw students were quite used to Harry doing something like this so it wasn't much of a surprise. But Hermione Granger was furious. She just couldn't beat Potter, however hard she tried! She attempted silent casting as well, but with no luck. Finally, at the end of the class, she was forced to give up and she marched out of the classroom, throwing filthy looks at Harry as she went past.

Harry snorted. How long before Dumbledore called him to his office?