Chapter 21 : The blue diamond ring

Daphne Greengrass was happy to be home again with her family. That night, Daphne and he mother were sitting in the family living room, when her mother spoke up. "So, how was the first term? I heard you're friends with Harry Potter."

Daphne nodded, "Yes, but I just told you this an hour ago and I've been sending you letters for the last few months. So, what exactly is this about Mum?" she asked confused.

Elizabeth Greengrass blushed and took a deep breath. "Before I tell you, you need a brief lesson in history. Almost two hundred years ago, a son of one of the cadet branches of the Potter family, teamed up with others who wanted to see the family's destruction and killed all the members of the cadet lines. This incident is commonly known as the Potter Massacre. Fortunately he was unable to destroy the main line, the reason is not really known as details are sketchy and the Potters are notoriously known for being secretive, so no one really knows what happened. It was several years later that William Potter, the great-great-grandfather of your friend Harry made a contract with your ancestor Steffen Greengrass. It said that if either of the families did not have a male heir, then a marriage contract would be enacted so that no one takes advantage of either family's immense wealth or political power. And as you have probably just figured out, this contract has come into effect now. There is an unbreakable marriage contract between you and Harry Potter" she said softly.

Daphne stared into space as millions of thoughts went through her head. Anger, hurt, betrayal, fear were the primary ones. She was betrothed to Harry? And from the looks of it, he knew and didn't tell her about it! She swallowed as tears filled her eyes. She had always wanted to make a name for herself. She was a natural when it came to Potions and Charms and had always dreamed of being a very successful enchantress, inventing new magical devices and earning recognition all over the world. She had also thought she could take on her family's business one day as well as her father's Wizengamot seat. And now, she was betrothed to an international celebrity as Harry was the only known survivor of the Killing Curse, one who was a genius too. She would be forever stuck in his shadow, never being able to see the light. She didn't respond to her mother so she just ran to her room, and cried. She cried for the future she could never have.

******************* TIME SKIP *******************

At 5 PM the next evening, Harry flooed to Greengrass Manor. As he stepped out of the fireplace and he automatically flicked his fingers to make the soot disappear. He looked up to see that Elizabeth Greengrass was waiting for him. He handed her a bouquet of lilies and said, "These are for you, Lady Greengrass and I thank you for welcoming me into your home."

"You're welcome Lord Potter. This way, please" she said, taking them to the drawing room. Harry bowed and said, "Lord Greengrass, it's a pleasure to meet you again. Thank you for inviting me to your home."

"The pleasure is mine, Lord Potter. Please take a seat" he said gesturing to the couch. Harry sat down, and the older man began. "I'll come straight to the point. I've been told by my account manager at Gringotts that you know that the contract is unbreakable unless we have a male heir. When I first found out, I was worried because no one knows much about you and I certainly didn't believe in those fantasy novels. But what I was deeply concerned about was if you were brainwashed by Albus Dumbledore. As you can guess, I don't trust the old man and you revealed his true colours a few months ago. But that trial in September removed that fear, but the fact remains that we don't know you. That's why we wanted to get to know you and for you to become comfortable with us."

Harry nodded slowly as he could understand that, but there was one question which was prevalent in his mind. "Lord Greengrass, how did Daphne take the news?" he asked softly. From their experiences in the last few months, Harry knew that Daphne was a very ambitious girl and had big dreams for her future so she probably thought they were crushed and he wanted to set her straight.