Chapter 7 : Sorting

Daphne Greengrass stepped out of the floo at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters with her parents (Cyrus and Elizabeth Greengrass) and her nine-year-old sister Astoria. As it was nearly time for the train to depart, she hugged her parents and sister whilst promising to write to them and boarded the train along with her only friend Tracy Davis. Since Daphne had always been a quiet child and preferred to read rather than play, she was different than the other pure blood girls her age. In addition to this, she was the Heiress Presumptive of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Greengrass. This unfortunately caused the attention of other pure blood families as the family didn't have a male heir. As a result of this, the families would then consider it as the best opportunity to get their hands on the massive Greengrass fortune and political influence. For example, Draco Malfoy. That arrogant ponce had the gall to come up to her at a party several months ago and say that he was going to be her future husband whilst also stating that she should be so lucky as to even be considered for that honour. Unfortunately, money wasn't the only issue. She wasn't vain by any means, but she had to admit that she was stunningly beautiful, even as an eleven-year-old. Her petite frame, showing promise for the future, dark blonde hair that extended to the middle of her back and her deep blue eyes only enhanced her aristocratic features. Thankfully her father was all for her learning some good hexes and curses to protect herself. After all, he didn't want anything to happen to his little girl.

Daphne followed Tracy into a compartment, put her trunk down and turned to look at the boy who she and her friend were sharing the compartment with. The first thought that flashed through her mind was that he was incredibly cute. He was tall and so she concluded that he was likely a third year. He had silky black hair that extended to his shoulders and had the most mesmerizing green eyes she had ever seen. She shook her head slightly to clear her thoughts as she didn't want to humiliate herself even before she got to the school. She wanted to create a reputation for herself so that boys would stay away from her so staring at a boy wouldn't result in that reputation. She was about to lift her trunk to place it on the rack when she heard a voice.

"Please, allow me", said the boy. He flicked his fingers and his wand came sailing out of its holster. He gave his wand a swish and a flick, and her trunk slowly ascended and sat cleanly on the rack above. He proceeded to do the same for Tracy's trunk as well.

"Wow!" said Tracy. "That was non-verbal magic. I didn't know third-year students could do it!" she exclaimed. Daphne too was stunned. She knew how difficult the charm was and had only managed to levitate a feather whilst this bloke had managed to levitate a heavy trunk as well as do it non-verbally!

The boy looked amused. "What makes you think I'm a third year, Miss ?"

"Davis. Tracy Davis. Well, you kind of look like a third-year student. Why, am I wrong?" she asked.

The boy extended his hand. Tracy understood and extended her own hand. The boy took it and kissed her knuckles. "Charmed, Miss Davis. But I'm afraid you're mistaken. I'm a first year, much like yourself", he said amused.

He looked at Daphne and asked, "And you my fair maiden?", ignoring Tracy's slack-jawed expression.

Daphne schooled her expression to remain impassive, but inside, she was unnerved. Who was this boy? He was handsome, from the look of it, rich, but he didn't look familiar as she had met the heirs of all the noble families. And his voice and stare made her nervous.

"Daphne Greengrass", she said in a cool tone. She thought she saw a flash of recognition in his eyes, but later thought she must have imagined it.

"It's my utmost pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss Greengrass", he said in a silky voice. He took her hand, and kissed her knuckles, the entire time without breaking eye contact. Daphne felt her face go warm as she realised he was yet to release her hand. This boy infuriated her! How dare he try to charm her like this? Just as she thought he was going to start flirting with her next like Draco had unsuccessfully tried to do, he resumed his seat and continued reading his book. He didn't even look at her after that.