Chapter 13 : A Godfather

"Chief Witch I must protest! Sirius Black is a convicted criminal! He was sentenced to Azkaban after betraying James and Lily Potter to Voldemort. I cannot stand by and watch as an innocent man like Severus Snape be convicted while a criminal and mass murderer like Black is removed from Azkaban" exclaimed Dumbledore.

"Ah, but you'll find that you are mistaken, Mr Dumbledore. You see, Sirius Black was never convicted of his crimes. He was thrown unceremoniously into Azkaban after his capture. He has been in Azkaban for 10 years without conviction or proof of his guilt. New evidence has been uncovered, and hence his reason to be here. But first, I call Arthur Weasley to the stand" said Amelia.

A confused Arthur Weasley entered the Wizengamot chambers. "Mr Weasley, does your family own a pet rat?" she asked.

"What does a rat have to do with anything? This is preposterous Chief Witch. I suggest we send Black back to Azkaban and clear my client of all charges. This really is getting out of hand" said Dumbledore. He was done with the kind persona. Things were going in ways he had never foreseen.

"I assure you Chief Witch this question is quite necessary" said Amelia.

"Objection overruled. Answer the question Mr Weasley" said Marchbanks.

"Yes. My son Percy had it for quite some time and now my youngest son Ron has it I believe" he said nervously.

"Mr Weasley, can you describe this rat? And how long has it been in your family?" asked Amelia.

"Ahm, it has brown fur, looks like any normal rat. But I think it had a toe missing in its paw. And it has been with my kids for more than nine years I think" he said.

"No rat can survive for more than three to four years and yet this rat has survived for nine years. Also, the rat has a missing toe, and the only part of Peter Pettigrew that was found was a finger."

"What does Pettigrew have anything to do with a rat? Am I the only one hearing rubbish here?" asked Dumbledore testily.

"Cauldron getting too hot for you, Mr Dumbledore? Unspeakable Croaker, if you would please" said Amelia.

The man came forward and pointed his wand at the rat and said "Animagus Revilio"

Immediately the rat started growing until finally, it settled on a short, bald man. The crowd gasped in surprise. "Meet Peter Pettigrew. The man supposedly killed by Sirius Black" boomed Amelia.

The Aurors put magic suppression cuffs on him and tied him to a chair. Amelia woke him up. "Since the person was declared dead, there is no law barring Veritaserum questioning to a supposed dead person" she said.

"I agree. Proceed Madam Bones" said Marchbanks.

The Unspeakable poured three drops of the serum down Pettigrew's throat and he became glassy eyed.

"What is your name?"

"Peter Alfred Pettigrew"

"What is your date of birth?"

"June 2nd, 1960"

"Were you a follower and Death Eater of the Dark Lord Voldemort?"

"Yes" There were gasps from the crowd.

"Were you the Secret Keeper of Potter Cottage which was under the Fidelius charm on October 31st, 1981?"

"Yes"

"Did you willingly betray the Potter family by giving up the Secret to the Dark Lord?

"Yes"

"What happened on the third of November, 1981?"