Chapter 48 : The fate of Barnabus Cuffe

Barnabus Cuffe stretched his legs as he finished his work for the day. It was time to head home when he found that he couldn't move. He watched as the door snapped shut with a click. He opened his mouth to speak but found that he was magically gagged. What was happening? Just then, he felt someone move close to him. Cuffe was bound tightly to his chair so there was nothing he could do.

"Barnabus Cuffe" said a strange voice. "The Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Prophet, I've waited a long time to talk to you."

Cuffe tried to move, but he couldn't. "You have information I want, Cuffe. The more you cooperate, I sooner I will leave" said the voice.

Suddenly, he found that he could talk. "Help!" he shouted. The voice laughed and said "This place is heavily warded, so don't try it. I have one question for you. Who are the shareholders of the Daily Prophet?"

"Why should I tell you anything?" asked Cuffe shakily. Who was this guy? He had taken precautions against attacks. How did he come in without anyone noticing anything?

"If you don't, I'll take it from you" replied the voice. "And trust me; I can make Legilimency attacks very painful indeed."

Cuffe sneered. "As if you can - " He stopped talking as he screamed. The attacker tore through his shields.

"Those were quite flimsy. It didn't even take me more than three seconds. So, are you willing to tell me or should I leave a gibbering mess of a man behind?" asked the voice, a touch amused.

"I'll tell you" said Cuffe in a shaky voice.

"Good boy" said the voice, as if he was talking to his dog. "But be warned. I'll know if you're lying."

Cuffe told the voice of the shareholders of Magical Britain's largest publishing company. The voice laughed and said "This is simpler than I thought. Just two more stops after this. Sign this contract." Cuffe saw a parchment appear on his desk.

"What is it?" he asked, terrified.

"It is a contract of you selling all the shares you own in the Daily Prophet to the Magical Daily Press, a company headquartered at No.12, Diagon Ally, London" said the voice.

"What? That's the address of the headquarters of the Daily Prophet!" said Cuffe. He was now close to wetting himself.

"Oh you're absolutely right" said the voice. "The Daily Prophet is going to be bought by a bigger publishing company, where the truth is reported. I have big plans for the magical world, but I can't reach out to the people this soon. The quill is indeed mightier than the sword, isn't it? Pretty soon, the Daily Prophet will die, and the British Magical Daily will be born. Well, British for now, at least. We need papers for the rest of the world as well, don't we?" said the voice and laughed.

"You can't make me do this! The contract won't be valid if I've signed it by force! It will be immediately scrapped" Cuffe shouted.

"But I can" purred the voice. "I'm not so stupid to attempt the Imperius Curse. That's for amateurs; those who can't comprehend the subtlety that is required to truly use the mind arts. Unfortunately for you, I am a natural at it."

"Legilimens"

"Compulso"

"Confundo"

"Obliviate"

Barnabus Cuffe shook his head to clear the cobwebs in his mind. He was probably too stressed. He was disgusted with how things were running at the Daily Prophet. Thank Merlin the new owner said he would turn things around. He wondered when it would be announced about the change in management. Oh well, time to go home.