Chapter 42 : Questions unanswered

Harry and Cedric came back to Hogwarts that evening amid whispers around them. Harry didn't care to go into the Great Hall, so was on his way to the Room of Requirement when he heard someone call out "Harry!" The next thing he knew, he was engulfed in a tight hug. He stiffened as usual, but he could smell Daphne's perfume so he wasn't worried. He hugged her tight and could feel the tension melt away. Daphne rubbed soothing circles on his back and asked, "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine" he whispered, still holding her to his chest.

Daphne pulled away slightly, cupped his face and said, "You always say that. Harry, I'm worried about you. While incidents like this aren't common in the wizarding world, I've heard it's the opposite in case of muggles. I can't imagine what state I would be if the same thing had happened to me. Are you truly alright?" Her face was filled with worry.

Harry smiled at her. "I really am alright Daphne, I promise. I broke free of the bindings before Lockhart could go any further. In fact, what really got to me was when he mentioned that you were his next target" he said.

Daphne's eyes went wide. "I was his next target?" she whispered.

Harry nodded grimly. He took her hand in his and said "I would never have allowed that. I will always protect you, Daphne. Even if it costs me my life, I will never let anything happen to you."

Daphne looked up and started into his eyes. Vivid green eyes met the deep blue orbs as they started at each other for several seconds. They moved closer, their faces almost touching each other. Daphne could feel Harry's breath on her face. Their lips were an inch apart. They closed their eyes, and just as their lips were about to meet –

"HARRY!" shouted a voice. Harry and Daphne suddenly flung away from each other, their faces beet red with embarrassment. They heard footsteps and soon they were joined by Neville, Hannah, Susan and Tracy. "Hey mate, we heard what happened. Are you alright?" asked Neville concerned.

Harry reinforced his Occlumency to control his emotions as he answered Neville. He couldn't believe he was that close to kissing Daphne! While he had dreamed about it, he didn't think he would actually do it! He looked at Daphne who was looking anywhere else but at him. He sighed when he realised that it was going to be a bit awkward around each other now. Why did Neville have to interrupt them?

The next day the Daily Prophet arrived as usual. Harry smirked when he saw the headlines.

GILDEROY LOCKHART SENTENCED FOR LIFE IN AZKABAN!

CONVICTED OF SEXUALLY ASSAULTING CHILDREN AND ILLEGAL OBLIVIATION!

The article was pretty accurate as it described him and Cedric Diggory almost being raped by the man, how he was brought in front of the entire Wizengamot, how Dolores Umbridge had wanted to see the memory of the incident, of Sirius and Augusta objecting to it citing morals, how Sirius had finally threatened to declare a blood feud against Umbridge unless she desisted, how Lockhart was dosed with Veritaserum where he confessed to it all, how he wanted to rape the boys and claim Harry Potter as his prize, how Daphne Greengrass was his next target, how he had obliviated so many people and stolen their work and sold his books claiming the deeds were done by him, how Albus Dumbledore suggested a light punishment but was slapped down and finally how the man was sentenced to life imprisonment. Neither Dolores Umbridge nor Albus Dumbledore came out shining after the article.

Witches and Wizards all over the country were spluttering and were stunned beyond belief. A few of Lockhart's greatest fans like Molly Weasley were still in denial, saying that it could not be true. But no one paid any attention to them as more than a few children had been harmed by the man, and they were screaming for his blood.

**********************TIME SKIP*********************

"Nearly headless Nick was petrified along with that Hufflepuff boy?" asked Harry disbelievingly. They were on their way back to London, sitting in the Hogwarts Express. Harry didn't have any time before now to ask his friends about the Chamber of Secrets attacks as people were asking him and Cedric what had happened. He had deflected most of the questions with some clever use of wandless compulsion charms, but the fourth year Hufflepuff wasn't so lucky.

"Yeah" replied Tracy. "They were found by the teachers on Sunday night. People are terrified to even walk the hallways alone anymore as they think they're the next ones to be attacked. Really, what could actually harm a ghost?"

Harry pondered the same question. He still hadn't figured out what was behind the attacks. But a ghost getting petrified was troubling. It meant the creature, whatever it was, was more dangerous than he thought. He had tried figuring out what creature it could be, but none of the creatures fit the description for the attacks. The only thing that came close was a Basilisk, but he had scrapped that idea immediately; Basilisk stare causes death, not petrification. Besides, how could a thirty-foot long snake travel around the school without anyone seeing it? And while Salazar Slytherin might have hated muggles, there was no way he would have kept something as incredibly dangerous and deadly as a Basilisk in a school full of children! Even the thought of a giant snake in the bowels of the castle made Harry shudder. No, this creature was something different. What was it?

"But at least no one suspects you of being the Heir of Slytherin anymore" said Susan.

Harry nodded but was mentally wondering what Dumbledore's next move would be. He knew the aged Headmaster would do everything in his power to ensure that Harry would be cornered this year. So far, it wasn't anything bad. There were whispers, a few scared faces, but that was it. But he was worried what would happen in the next semester.

Once they reached Kings Cross station, Harry and his friends climbed out of the train and began searching for their families. This time, Sirius had insisted on coming to pick Harry up at the station, overruling Harry who claimed that he didn't want to be a burden. Harry found Sirius talking to Susan's parents. He said goodbye to his friends and portkeyed to Black Manor for the Yule holidays.

A few days later, Harry went to Greengrass Manor to meet Daphne. He had promised her that he would come clean with all his secrets during the holidays and he intended to keep his word. He wasn't worried about someone reading her mind as he had extensively trained Daphne in Occlumency for the past year. She still had to improve, but that would come with experience over the years. But he could confide in her without any fear.

Cyrus Greengrass was leery of letting his daughter go to Harry's house alone, but Harry promised him that they wouldn't do anything inappropriate. The man was only convinced after Harry proposed to swear a magical oath that he wouldn't do anything to hurt her, but thankfully Cyrus had told Harry that it wasn't necessary. Cleary, the older man had not yet forgotten Lockhart saying that his daughter was supposed to be his next target, so was still quite fidgety.