CHAPTER 24 : The inevitable meeting

The next day at breakfast, Professor McGonagall called him to her office where Harry found Hermione Granger sitting with a superior expression on her face. Harry rolled his eyes; he was really getting tired of this idiocy behaviour. Professor McGonagall sat down and stared at Harry and said, "Mr Potter, I have received disturbing complaints about you threatening students, reading books on the dark arts, cursing fellow students and taking part in an illegal activity. Care to elaborate?" she asked.

"Yes Professor. I would like Miss Granger here to tell you in her own words exactly what she thought was her reasoning behind all those allegations. Care to elaborate Miss Granger?" asked Harry.

Hermione sniffed and said, "Professor, during the train journey to London, Harry pointed his wand and threatened Ron and I saying that he would curse us. He was also reading a book that I didn't recognise, so the book he was reading was obviously unauthorised and it may be the dark arts as he gets every spell right before I do. He obviously is getting extra help for that right? It's cheating and I told him that I would report it. Yesterday, he silenced Ron and I and pushed us out of the compartment and locked it! He shouldn't have locked the door, it's against the rules. He has brought a dog as well Professor, while the letter we received said we could only bring an owl, a cat or a toad. And he's going to marry that Daphne Greengrass girl. He's not of age, it's illegal!"

Professor McGonagall closed her eyes and sighed. She looked at the amused expression on Harry's face and asked, "Mr Potter is all this true?"

"Yes Professor" he said much to the shock of Granger. "But I have to clarify. During the first train ride, Weasley and Granger barged into our compartment and started calling my friends evil for being Slytherins. I got annoyed but didn't use any spells. Yesterday, they came in and started shouting again, and so to preserve my sanity I cast the silencing charm on them and locked the door. The door could have been opened by any prefect. And yes, I do own a Crup, he's a gift from Sirius and I have a license as well. His name is Tango and is still a puppy. Daphne and I being betrothed is self-explanatory, and as for the book I was reading, here" he said, giving the book to McGonagall.

The Professor looked at the book and said, "Battle Transfiguration? 'Property of James Charlus Potter'. Wait, isn't this the same book that I gifted James for his seventeenth birthday? I'm surprised that you can even understand what is in this book Mr Potter. If you have trouble understanding the concepts, don't hesitate to ask me. You clearly have a gift when it comes to this subject. Anyway, five points from Ravenclaw for using the silencing charm on a fellow student. And twenty points to Ravenclaw for using a spell taught in the fourth year! I'll be sure to mention this to Filius. He'll be ever so pleased!"

She returned the book to him and addressed Granger and said, "Miss Granger. While I admire you for coming to me about a student breaking the rules, you really should have done your research. Reading a book isn't a crime. Only if the staff believe that the student is reading explicit dark material do we intervene, but even then, the student might probably be studying for an apprenticeship or mastery in Defence against the Dark Arts. While owls and cats and toads are recommended, many of them don't exactly follow it. We witches and wizards have more of a connection with animals than our muggle counterparts so there are no rules against bringing a crup, a magical dog to the school. Only if the animals are dangerous will the staff punish the student. Just because Mr Potter gets a spell right before you do doesn't mean that he has dwelled into the dark arts. And about the betrothal between Mr Potter and Miss Greengrass, as your Head of House, I would deeply advice you not to involve yourself in the affairs of the Ancient Houses; it won't end well for you. I suggest you read more of them in the library and I would also like to remind you that the laws in the wizarding world are different from those in the muggle world. Please don't accuse someone without knowing what you're talking about. You may both go now."

Hermione looked betrayed, and she furiously marched away. Harry simply shook his head at her stupidity and went to attend Potions. He hoped that she would not try it again. At the end of the day, Professor Flitwick informed him that the Headmaster wanted to meet him. So Harry found himself seated opposite to Albus Dumbledore.

Albus looked at the boy in front of him. His plan for him to befriend the Weasleys hadn't worked, but he should have known better. Molly Weasley wouldn't know subtlety if it bit her in the arse. However, it was the incident with Remus Lupin that troubled him the most. He knew the werewolf pawn would never betray him. If only Severus had not been sent to Azkaban, he mused to himself. The test he had set for Harry Potter seemed useless now, as Quirrell had died in the attempt at getting past the Cerberus. His mangled body showed signs of dark magic, and it had confirmed his suspicions that Voldemort had indeed possessed him. But he expected him to be smarter in acquiring the stone. 'Ah, how far you've fallen, Tom. You were probably the best student I've ever taught. But not to worry old boy, you and I still have time. After Harry's death, I'm sure you'll regret everything you have done and take back the name Tom Riddle. Maybe I can convince you to take the name Tom Dumbledore instead. I've always wanted a son. Then I can prepare you to become the next leader of the light and I'll be the most famous and powerful wizard since Merlin' he thought.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when he heard Harry saying, "What can I do for you Headmaster?"

Albus cleared his throat and said, "Ah yes my boy. I've heard disturbing rumours that you're studying and practicing the dark arts. This is a serious allegation Harry, and I'm bound by the rules to check your possessions to ensure that it is not the case."

Before Harry could even speak, Flitwick spoke up. "Those allegations were made by a jealous, eleven-year-old girl Headmaster. Minerva has already spoken to both Miss Granger and Mr Potter and has verified that he wasn't reading any dark arts books. The book in question was actually a birthday gift given by Minerva to James Potter. So there is no need for an enquiry as it has already been dealt with."

Albus was annoyed. Here was a perfect opportunity to search Harry's belongings and it had been snatched away. He could search them without cause of course, but if he did find something, he would have to explain why he was searching the boy's trunk in the first place. The old families would not hesitate to pounce on him as their heirs probably had family heirlooms with them, and they were secret and not to be shown to others.

"I watched the Pensieve memory of your meeting with Remus Lupin and I must confess that I'm very disappointed in you Harry. He was one of your father's best friends and attacking him like you did was not fair. Your parents would be very disappointed in you. You must learn to forgive and forget my boy for this world is filled with sacrifice and unless you are willing to do that, life is going to be tough indeed." he said, choosing his words carefully. After all Harry needs to sacrifice his life for the greater good when the time came, so Harry had to forgive Dumbledore and listen to his advice.

To Dumbledore's immense surprise, Harry smiled. "I should have known that he would show you the memory Professor, it was foolish of me not to. But you have to understand that he was my father's friend, not mine. And you're right. My dad would probably be disappointed in me for the way that meeting turned out. But I doubt he would be so forgiving after discovering how his son had lived his life during his childhood. I would also like to point out that I distinctly remember telling my godfather that I would not come between him and Remus; that they could remain friends, just not to involve me. But I have to disagree with your last statement sir. We don't have to sacrifice everything to live. Our life is filled with choices. It is our choices that make our life the way it is and we can live happily if we make the right choices. Even if we do, sacrificing something to get another isn't needed. It becomes minimal and a part of life" he said softly.

Dumbledore's eye twitched. How dare his pawn not accept what was told! He was Albus Dumbledore, his philosophy was always right. What did an eleven-year-old boy know about life anyway? "You have given me a lot to think about Harry. You may go" he said. Harry nodded and left the office.