Chapter 53 - May 20th, 2020 2:30 P.M.

Our second group of the day was about having healthy connections with people, also known as picking your friends wisely. I've struggled with this in the past. To be honest with you, I was so lonely that I let anyone be my friend, no matter how destructive they were. That's actually how I got my bike stolen; I hope you get appendicitis, Vince Moriarty...

"So much can change in your life based on who you surround yourself with," the counselor spoke.

"You mean like on an unconscious level?" I asked curiously.

"Exactly, and that is why it is so important to have good people in our lives. One of the most important lessons they never taught you in school is to pick your friends wisely."

"How do you do it?" Ashley asked.

"I make a pros/cons page and see the true worth of someone," he replied, chuckling.

That's actually genius.

"One of the worst parts about having a poor choice of friends is being peer pressured. This is how many people begin using drugs," he said coincidentally, looking in Morgan's direction.

"When did you learn you had bad friends?" Morgan asked the counselor.

"Around the time in high school, I would have these friends that would only hang out with me if I smoked pot with them. I knew right away that if they were genuine friends, they'd hang out with me without all that. And since I've gotten new friends, I've felt happier and safer than ever before."

"What do you mean by safer?" I asked, confused.

"My old friends and I used to play five-finger fillet until someone would quit from the pain. The person who didn't give up would get money in return. It was one of the dumbest things I had done during my youth, and I'm glad it's all over," he said nervously, laughing.

"Did you ever win?" Madelynn asked curiously.

This is the reason I fell in love with you.

"I can't remember for the life of me; that was about twenty-five years ago. A lot of time has passed by since then," he replied, chuckling.

Time is relative in my case.

"Could I tell you about my situation, counselor?" Morgan asked, perking up.

"Sure, what is it?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.

"So I'm addicted to cough syrup, and I got into it because of peer pressure from my friends. How do I leave them?" he nearly pleaded.

"Be completely honest with them and tell them they're not right for you, it may hurt to hear, but it's better than being trapped in this cycle of addiction you mentioned. If you don't kill the cycle, the cycle will kill you."

"You know what? You inspired me to do it. For once, I'll tell them exactly how I feel about them," he excitedly exclaimed, rubbing his hands together like a fly. I wish I could have seen the moment he talked to them.

"Remember, everyone struggles with something. The important thing is to continue on with your struggle until it's a victory," the counselor said with a supportive smile.

Truer words were never spoken.