Chapter 33 - May 19th, 2020 - 11:06 A.M.

I was fourteen when I first heard the song Savin' Me by Nickelback. (don't judge) What does that song have to do with anything, you may ask? Well, there's this one lyric in it that goes, "Heaven's gates won't open up for me. With these broken wings I'm fallin.'" All at once, I felt the guilt of hurting Madelynn hit me in the heart like a brick. I felt this sharp pain that made me feel like that biker guy reshot me. The worst part about it was that I didn't even recognize her. When we were dating, she had an emo phase. She'd wear Pierce the Veil bracelets and dye her hair black every month. That was how I remembered her, but things had changed since then.

"Are... are you okay?" she asked, noticing my shocked expression.

"If I told you what was wrong, you would hate me," I mumbled like a moron.

"What...? Could you be any quieter?" she asked, confused.

"Look, do you remember that one guy last year who broke your heart and abandoned you?" I asked, shaking and hyperventilating.

"You know me?" she asked curiously.

"Yes, you know how?"

"How?"

"I'm the one who broke your heart. I'm so sorry for what I did. I've regretted it every single day of my life. The truth is, I was arrogant, and I didn't want to admit it. I saw you a couple of times around town, and I wanted to apologize to you. I really did. It's just..." I said, trailing off.

"Just what?" she asked, annoyed.

"I'm terrible at apologies," I replied, shaking my head.

"So let me get this straight, you felt bad about what you did, and yet you never once reached out to me? Do you realize how much of an oxymoron that is?" she asked with a tone of pure anger.

"I was scared," I stupidly replied.

"Scared of what?!" she practically yelled at me.

"That you'd hate me."

"Hate you...? I don't hate you; I'm just really disappointed in you," she replied with a sigh.

"Do you have it in you to forgive me?" I practically pleaded.

"Maybe someday, but that day is not today."

Someday, somehow I'm gonna make it alright but not right now.