8

Date created: 04/04/21

Date Finished: 04/08/21

Author's Notes: Now, here is where things will start coming together as well, like an add-on to Sukuna's reasoning I guess. Please be patient, I'm trying to get to the good parts without making it seem like a cringe rushed story- This chapter will be shorter than most.

Warnings: Graphic scenes such as mentions of death.

⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱
┊┊┊┊
┊┊┊☆
┊┊ *
┊┊🔥
┊☆ °

🔥

Sorano's sobbing ceased when a familiar thumping sound hit her ears. She quickly lifted her head to look at the boy in her arms. His eyes were closed...but his wound was now gone.

Sorano's heart swelled with happiness; her little trick worked! He was still alive and well. Though it seemed he would need much rest. With her hope flickering brighter, she stood up and carried Ryomen inside...the living room was a mess that would need to be cleaned. But for now, she had other plans.

Sorano placed Ryomen on his bed, checking one last time for any other injuries. She was satisfied when there was none...Sorano looked at his face, reaching down to wipe off a little splatter of blood. Oh, how she pitied him greatly...he lost his mother because of her...how would he have an everyday life now?

She felt as if she was a plague of misfortune, where ever she went, whenever she was finally happy once more. Chaos, destruction, and death followed her. What would she do now? She couldn't just leave the boy alone and force him to survive alone. Humans couldn't be trusted to protect and provide for him. She would have to hold him close, never allow anything to come near again.

Sorano spent hours sitting at Ryomen's side, the fear of him dying invading her mind even if he was healed and showing no difficulty. She needs the reassurance that he would be okay. Luckily his heart was beating normally can his breathing was good. He was just peacefully sleeping.

She then remembered Mei...her poor body was still outside on the filthy ground. She needed to be buried, to have a peaceful enteral rest. Sorano slowly stood to her feet, glancing at the boy before stepping out of the room. He would be okay for an hour at most... she would make sure nothing entered a hundred-foot radius of the house. She would make sure of that this time. She would be close enough to protect him.

She made her way outside. The weather had changed to worsen the dreadful feeling she felt. Raining pouring down from the dark clouds above, at least it lessens the stench of blood. The rising sun is hidden behind the awful clouds... Sorano walked over to where Mei's body laid, staring down at the blooded woman.

"I'm so sorry, Mei...I have failed you. But Ryomen is safe...I will keep him safe, I promise."

She then walked over to an empty spot by the fields, where they had planned to plant beautiful flowers. This would be a good spot for her to rest, with no worries of being disturbed. Maybe she would be grateful that her body would feed the plants...She grabbed a shovel that was nearby and began digging. She could easily have used her curse energy. But the sense of doing it by hand was more pleasing.

It took Sorano an hour or so to dig a grave deep enough for Mei. Once she was done, she had walked over to the body and lifted her into her arms. She carried her cold body to the makeshift grave and gently placed her into it. She had no strength to say goodbye just yet... She sat on her knees by the grave, staring down at the lifeless body. Her regrets consuming her mind.

She was lucky that the rain hid her tears as she heard the sounds of soft footsteps. She knew it was Ryomen...moments later, she felt him sit down next to her.

He was surprisingly quiet; he dared not ask a question or say anything. Just staring down at his mother as Sorano did.

There was a long, painful silence between the two until a flash of red caught her attention. There, a spider lily landed on Mei. Sorano turned her head to Ryomen; he was crying the same her. The rain is washing them away.

"It wasn't your fault Sorano..." He whispered out, keeping his eyes on his mother's body.

"Those people were always mean towards us...mama tried to explain the whole thing. But they kept hitting her, calling her names...I tried to do the same..." He continued.

Sorano's heart clenched; how could she have not seen this coming...Mei wouldn't have felt and witness such cruelty.

"But then you came and saved me...you told them the truth even if you killed them...they deserve it. You saved me. I thought I was going to die...but I felt something in me? Like a warmness? I don't know... I woke up in my bed... and I knew you were out here...mama would be happy...it hurts that she's gone. But she is in a better place now. She doesn't have to live through the pain anymore. With you here, I don't feel that pain either. She would be glad."

He turned his head to look up at her blue eyes, a sad smile ghosting his face. "She would have loved to see your face too. She always wondered about it."

"I'm a monster, Ryomen. You should know by now I'm not exactly human" Sorano couldn't help but snap at him; how could he still be kind to her after seeing her like this?

But that smile did not fade from his lips, only growing wider and encouraging him to slide closer to her side and leaning his head on her shoulder.

"Your no monster Sorano... you're just different. I knew that when those nights we stayed up. It doesn't matter what you are. Mama always said what matters is what you do. You've done nothing but show kindness."

Her eyes widened at his words, his words sending a powerful emotion to her heart. His words spoke nothing but the truth. Her fear is slowly washing away; around him, she could indeed be herself.

She wrapped her arm around the boy and pulled him close.

"Thank you, Ryomen."