XXXVII

"Well, that's it then," I sighed, "I officially cannot look good in anything."

Spencer shook his head at me, lying fully dressed amongst the clothes I'd tried on and then strewn across his bed.

"Adriana--"

"No!" I held my hand up, "Don't try to placate me. It's no use. I look a mess."

"Baby..." he tried again, sitting up in bed, his light blue shirt still well-pressed and open at the collar, revealing a dusting of chest hair, "You look sensational. Come on..."

I turned back towards the mirror, glaring at myself.

The powder blue dress had a v-neck with flared sleeves, an open back and a delicate lace skirt that skimmed over my waist and legs with a tight, pencil skirt fit.

It was something that I'd wear on a date, a last minute purchase I hadn't even got to try on before this trip. But somehow, it just didn't look right. And I wanted everything to be perfect for meeting Spencer's father and announcing my engagement to his son.

Leah had taken it well, but that was Leah. People had always remarked on the stark differences between her and her husband. Whilst Leah was the petite, elfin beauty with a soft voice and demeanour, Richard may as well have been her opposite - towering over his wife at at least six foot three, he had a deep voice, bold personality and commanding presence which demanded attention every time he stepped into a room.

Spencer was now at my side, coaxing me, wrapping his arm around my front.

"Baby, you look perfect," he said, smoothing my hair out of the way so he could bend to lay the most tempting kisses on my neck, "Absolutely perfect."

"Something's wrong..." I sighed, but unable to keep myself from melting into him.

"Nothing is wrong." He moved to kiss and suck on the shell of my ear, "You look sexy. Seriously sexy."

"I don't want to look sexy, Spence!" I groaned, "This is a family dinner!"

He rolled his eyes to the heavens, "Fine. But you know what I mean. You're beautiful."

I let out another deep sigh, looking at my reflection in the mirror.

"How long do we have until dinner?"

"Now we're talking!" Spencer exclaimed, his eyes twinkling as he moved his hand to the bottom of my skirt and began to lift it higher.

I batted his hands away, scowling.

"Spencer!" I hissed, "Not in your parents house!"

He looked at me, wounded, eyes big and blue, "We're in a reasonably sound proofed room at the end of a corridor with a door that locks..."

"That's not the point!" I exclaimed, lowering my voice, "It's still your parents house. It would be disrespectful."

"So we're not going to have sex for two weeks?" He rallied back.

"Ye--" I paused, "Well, no, I didn't say that...Ugh, Spencer! That's not my main concern right now!!!"

He chuckled, pressing a soft kiss to my lips, "I know, babe, I was only teasing. We have five minutes to dinner. And I think you look beautiful. But then, you always do."

"You really think it's okay, Spencer?" I huffed, "Not too...too..."

"You look great." He said, lacing his fingers through mine, "Now can I please show off my beautiful fiance to my family?"