I

We accept the love we think we deserve...

- Stephen Chbosky

10, 9, 8...

The first time I met her, I knew she was the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. My personality severely hindered me in making my feelings even close to known, but by no means did that detract from the way my heart would pound when she entered the room or the way I couldn't help but get tongue-tied any time she wanted to talk to me. I was young, foolish and naïve at the time, about most things, but this was one thing I knew for certain – she was the perfect girl for me.

7, 6, 5...

The first time I met her, I was completely entranced. I'd never witnessed someone or something so absolutely flawless. She had been dressed in white when I first saw her, and I swear, for a split second I believed she was an angel. 

Every word that passed her lips was law, every flicker of her eyelashes had me utterly fixated and her eyes... her eyes were the most expressive I'd ever seen, it was almost as if I could stare right into the very depths of her soul. That was another thing about her – the way she talked. She could read the phone book and make it sound like the most beautiful choral hymn. Her voice was soft, almost as if she was afraid of making a sound, but then, when the passion rose, her mouth would open up wide and she could talk ten to the dozen. She had passion for a lot of things: history, literature, film, art; all the things that make up a sophisticated woman. And that's what she was... sophisticated, no other way to describe her, almost as if she was gracing me with her presence every time she took a step into a room. She never knew the power she wielded over me.... She could ask me to do anything and I would have thrown myself at her feet. She was the perfect girl for me.

4, 3, 2...

The first time I met her, she made me recalculate every prospect I'd ever had. I had always been an intelligent guy, that was how I got my scholarship to an American university. I was one for the books rather than for the women. It had gotten me into a lot of issues at school where I was relentlessly and mercilessly teased for my lack of interest in parties and alcohol and sex. But I wasn't that type of person, never had been, never would be... or so I'd thought.

But by the time I got to University, travelling abroad from England to the States, I felt like I had to make up for all of those missed opportunities, the things I hadn't grasped. So, whilst my peers were studying for first term examinations, I was out at the local bar getting wrecked and waking up with three women in my bed with no idea as to how they got there. But then I met her... and she... she changed all of that. She put me back on the right path, helped me to stop forcing myself into an alcohol-induced stupor, stayed up with me night after punishing night to revise all the things I hadn't been paying attention to as I was far too busy recovering from a hangover. She would co-write journalistic assignments with me so I could get them in for the next day, build up a good relationship with my professors and she even put in a good word or two for me at local papers so I could secure a job. I knew. She was the perfect girl for me.

1.

It's funny, when you think about it, how things can change. How one moment in time, suspended in thin air, can alter everything. I was ready, I had matured, I was appropriate... for myself, for her. I'd sharpened up. It was because of her that I managed to graduate top of my class with honours. It was because of her that I was able to secure my first internship, the first paid job I'd ever had in my entire life. It was because of her that I met my mentor. It was because of her that I was able to establish myself and thrive beyond my wildest dreams. She... was the perfect girl for me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I turned to her and smiled widely, "Happy New Year Adriana!"

Her smile was equally as wide, "Happy New Year Spencer!"

A hand pulled on her waist in the darkness and the other tipped her head upwards, "Happy New Year, babe."

Sealed with a kiss. 

My fate and everything else.

I looked on, the outsider as I usually am, staring at the woman I had fallen in love with, two thousand five hundred and fifty five times, in another man's arms.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot, for the sake of auld lang syne....

She was the perfect girl for me.

It was a shame I wasn't the perfect man for her.

*****************************************************************************************************

[Author's Note]

Hello and welcome - old fans and new - to my latest Wattpad adventure.

It's hard to believe that I've had almost a two year writing break - life is so hectic! But now I'm back and ready to write something new.

'Everything' will be my fourth published work on this site, and it is only through the amazing support I have received from my readers that a shy girl like me feels confident enough to publish on this incredible and supportive site. I love you all!

This is an idea I have been playing with since about the end of 2015, where I got a sudden creative boost and three potential novel ideas came to me all at once. I have resolved to settle with this one as the thoughts of where these characters could go captivates me every day. I hope you will enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. 

The title of this novel is something that came to me after I started writing and hopefully, should have some significant bearing as the book goes on. 

Once again, from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate each and every one of you. Any votes or comments would be greatly received as always. 

For now, I send you virtual hugs through my computer screen.

Faithfully Yours,

- Bex. 'xo