XIV

Being another year older always put things into perspective for me.

I was so proud of the things I had achieved in my twenty-seven years of life. I'd worked so hard to get into Columbia. Over the years, some teachers had attempted to write me off, ignore me, make me out to be something I was not. But there were the few that believed in me, the few that would give me a shot - they were the ones who truly made me feel alive, who enabled me to be the person I wanted to be.

Then of course was my family. My mother and father, despite not having much themselves, always made sure they were entirely involved in everything I did - helping me get to debating tournaments, driving me cross-country to visit universities, paying for my college tuition. My brother who attended every single tournament, moot and mock trial I'd ever had. And then my extended family - Licia who was like my sister, who supported me more than I could ever ask. And Spencer, the sweetest man alive, who I cared for more than anything in the world.

Twenty-seven years.

When I woke up on the anniversary of my birth, I was warm. Way too warm than usual.

Spencer was draped over me like a blanket, his hot breath on my neck.

I couldn't have been more content. So much so, I let out a pleasant sigh, curling into his body.

He groaned, biting his lip in his sleep.

There was no doubt about it - my boyfriend was absolutely gorgeous. He looked so young and innocent in his sleep, not a care in the world, so unlike his face when he was thinking about work - really looking his age. It was a revelation to see him this way - just plain old Spencer. Not the control-freak-CEO that overly obsessed about the paper.

I couldn't stop my heart from fluttering in my chest. He really was perfect, in every sense of the world. Far too perfect for someone like me. So why the hell was he infatuated with me? He said he liked me a long time ago. Back when I didn't know how to use makeup or look after my hair. Really? I didn't see that as possible.

But as long as he wanted me, I would take him for. Because the truth was...I was in far too deep to turn back.

Glancing over him, I couldn't help but marvel over his dark as coal eyelashes that fanned his cheeks and contrasted with his mussed up golden hair. In the few times I'd looked at him in his sleep, I'd noticed his mouth opened in the cutest little pout, occasionally humming. It was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

My fingertips suddenly had the urge to stroke his golden hair. It was almost like they were itching.

This handsome, handsome man wanted me... But I didn't want to disturb him.

Oh, what the hell, he's my boyfriend.

I stroked a hand across the top of his head slowly, as if to soothe him. The way the light burnished his hair through the sunlight in the gap in the curtains made him look like a work of art. Like an angel from a Classical painting. Perfect.

The next move I made through his locks, caused Spencer's eyes to flutter open, baby blue and bright, prompting my automatic smile.

"Good morning, beautiful." His croaky morning voice got out.

"Good morning yourself." My lips twisted in amusement.

Spencer yawned, leaning over and planting a chaste kiss on my lips, "Happy birthday, Angel."

My grin, if that was even possible, got even wider, "Thanks, Haywood."

His eyes lit up, cornflower blue, and he pulled the covers off me with a swift movement, before groaning loudly.