XXXVIII

Soon enough, dinner was over and we'd all cleared our plates. It was an absolutely delicious meal, and I was well and truly stuffed.

"Well, I hope everyone enjoyed dinner," Leah said, standing up to clear the plates, "I just threw it all together."

Leah made some of the best food I'd ever tasted. If this was throwing something together, I'd love to see what the outcome was when she truly organised it.

The table chorused our thanks and Leah beamed from ear to ear.

"Lovely, thanks Mum," Spencer said, patting his stomach with a grin, "It's good to be back."

"Well, you know I love to make sure my baby is fed." Leah smiled, reaching across to ruffle his hair.

My fiancé was incredibly spoilt by his mom.

I stood, echoing Leah, "I'll help in the kitchen."

"Not a chance," Leah said, picking up Sebastian's cleared plate, "You're our guest, Adriana. You sit down."

"Mum, please," I said, stacking the glasses, "I couldn't possibly. I'd be more than happy to help."

Leah pursed her lips, "Well, alright then. Thank you."

"Mum, do you need anything else?" Serena asked, "I can help too."

"Don't worry, S, I've got it covered." I nodded.

I wanted the chance to speak to Leah alone. To try to get a closer relationship with her. After all, she was my future mother-in-law.

Leah and I carried the plates and glasses into the kitchen, depositing them in the sink. She washed up the glasses, whilst I grabbed a tea-towel to dry.

"Sweetheart, you've seemed on edge all afternoon. I hope everything is okay?" Leah questioned, gently laying a hand on my shoulder, "If you're not comfortable here in any way, you will let me know what I can do for you, won't you?"

"Oh no, no, everything is perfect!" I exclaimed, "Please, I'm so sorry if I've forgotten my manners, you've made me feel more than welcome here. You always have."

Leah frowned, walking over to the sink to turn off the tap, "Are you sure everything is okay Adriana? You have seemed rather...tense."

I sighed, laughing despite myself, "If you want to know the truth...Mum...I've been so nervous about coming to London this time around."

"Why would that be?"

"The engagement mainly," I replied, "I...was worried about what you guys would all have to say about it."

"Oh sweetheart, we're delighted of course!" Leah said, perplexed, "Why wouldn't we be?"

"I--I just..." I shifted uncomfortably, shuffling the tea towel in my hand, "I know you know about my past. Relationship wise, I mean. And how fresh this is with Spencer and I. I didn't want any of you to think poorly of me because of that."

Leah looked across at me as we dried up, "Sweetheart, I never did tell you the story about my great first love, did I?"

My brow furrowed. Whilst Leah and I had a good relationship, we'd never done the girl talk thing.

"No...Mum," I replied, wondering where this conversation was going, "No, you haven't."

She smiled indulgently, and I prepared myself for the story.

"Well, it all began when I found myself in Paris as a plucky 19 year old, ready to begin my Grand Diplome at Le Cordon Bleu," she said, settling down at the kitchen island, "You have to understand, Adriana, I was extremely sheltered as a child, especially being an only child as I was. Growing up in a home like mine, where my parents were fair and fun, but protective, I had no real experience of the world. Going to Paris to pursue my dreams of becoming a chef was like jumping in at the deep end of a swimming pool. I finally had a real taste of freedom, of life on my own terms."