XLIV

I gaped, looking straight up at my ex-boyfriend who was about a head taller than me even in my killer heels.

I cursed myself for not contemplating he would be here tonight.

Why the hell wouldn't he be, Adriana, for God's sake! He's still the goddamn DA for New York state. They'd probably rolled out the red carpet for him on his arrival.

"Adriana," he said, still smirking at me, "Fancy bumping into you, here."

"Yes, Mark," I replied, still slightly breathless from the shock, "You'll forgive me if we don't stop to shoot the breeze, I'm just leaving."

I went to move past him, but he stepped in the same direction, shoving his hands deep into his tuxedo pockets.

"It's been...what....six months since we last spoke?" he said, his brows drawing together slightly, "That's a long time..."

I rolled my eyes. When would he let me out of the way?

"Again, I'm sure you'll forgive me, I haven't been counting, for obvious reasons. Goodnight, Mark."

As I went to move past him again, he grabbed my arm and I immediately swung it out of his grasp, just missing hitting him in the face, my nails catching his temple.

He winced, but the devilish smile was quickly rearranged on his face.

"Mark, for the love of God, let me past," I fumed, "What do we have left to say to one another?"

I looked out towards the crowd of people at the end of the corridor and willed for someone to come down here to use the bathroom so I could make my escape...

Mark crossed his arms across his chest, "You haven't considered my proposition since we last had a conversation?"

I scoffed, "Your proposition? Mark, I'm not even going to spend any more time talking to you. Anything we had is dead and buried, and as far as I'm concerned, you never existed - now if you'll excuse me--"

"Not so fast." he stepped in front of me again, and I was just about ready to scream, "You look beautiful this evening, Adriana. Really gorgeous. You never wore any of these killer dresses for me."

"Mark, enough!" I shouted, becoming more than frustrated, more than annoyed.

His fingers briefly trailed against my cheek and then he gripped my wrist tight, "Come on, Bunny, I told you already how stupid I was a year ago. I'm a changed man."

"Mark, it doesn't matter, I'm in a relationship, I'm with someone else, now get off me!" I squirmed, but his vice grip became even tighter as he held me in place.

"Why won't you return my calls to your office, hm?" he lowered his voice, "You know how good it was between us, don't you? Hm? Even my mother misses you. She asks about you all the time. Come on, Ana..."

And then it all became clear. 

I could smell the alcohol on his breath as he pinned me against the wall, hooking his leg around mine so I'd fall if I tried to escape. He'd been drinking hard liquor - an issue which had come up a few times in our relationship, when I'd been less than pleased about it.

But right now, I couldn't care less, I simply wanted out, and I wanted to be back with my husband.

"Mark, get off!" I pushed on his chest which was like a brick wall, "You've had too much to drink."

"Come on, Ana, please?" he slathered, holding my chin in his grasp, "Why don't you want me? Why don't you--"

"Because she has me."