XXVI

We'd been talking and making out for hours on end from darkness to the sun rising.

When I was with Spencer, it was easy to lose track of time. We'd spoken about our hopes, our dreams, our goals, plans for the future. A small part of my brain had drifted to the five-bedroom detached house, white picket fence and two children that had been part of my life plan since I was a kid. But we'd just managed to say those three words to each other after eight years...I didn't want to get too serious. After all, Spencer was still a playboy at heart.

Sleep had been...brief. If we'd managed to doze for a few hours, one of us – mostly Spencer – would wake up and gently coax the other into coming together once again. It was more than magical.

Spencer was currently stroking my hair and laying kisses along my jawline. Therapeutic didn't even begin to cover the euphoria I was currently feeling.

"Good morning, baby." He whispered, "You look beautiful."

I could feel my cheeks heat up, "You're not too bad yourself."

And then I couldn't prevent my yawn.

Spencer arched an eyebrow, "Tired?"

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes affectionately, "Some guy I'm seeing kept me up all night."

Rather than playing along like he usually did, Spencer tipped his head back and laughed, covering his eyes with his forearm, "God, I love you."

Now, that was a phrase that would never get old.

He uncovered his eyes, turning to face me, "I love you, Adriana." The sentence was let out like a breath, like he was realizing this thought fully for the first time, no matter how many times he'd said, whispered or...groaned it last night.

I blushed and smiled, biting my lip, "I love you too, playboy."

"Playboy?" a well-shaped dark eyebrow arched as he propped his head up on a hand.

Giggling, I place a palm on his chest, "Well you can't go around saying you don't have a reputation, now can you?"

Before I could utter another joke, I was pinned underneath my boyfriend, my hands above my head, his breath in my face, "So Miss Rodriguez, am I living up to expectations?"

I tried to stifle a sigh of pleasure, but it was pretty much inevitable, "Oh, very."

Spencer bent down and placed a sensuous kiss on my lips and soon enough, my hands were tangling in his hair and pulling his body closer to mine. Even a centimeter space between us was too much.

He pulled away breathless, chest rising and falling in rapid motions, "God, Adriana, you're perfect." He sighed, "I'll never get enough of you."

"Right back at you," I whispered.

The alarm on Spencer's phone began to vibrate harshly, nearly causing his phone to walk itself off the bedside cabinet.

"Until about now...." He groaned, head flopping onto my chest in despair, "God, just one day off to spend with my girlfriend in bed. Just one day, please."

I laughed, curling my fingers into his hair, "Spence, if you're looking for God, you certainly won't find Him in my chest."

He smiled, shaking his head, before kissing the top of mine, "I have to go, baby."

"Really?" I found myself whining. I'd more than enjoyed Spencer's company over the weekend, and even when we'd gone to work on Monday, I'd missed him like crazy. 

This was love. This was being in love. Although I was ashamed to admit it, I had loved Mark, but being in love? This – with Spencer – was different. All-consuming, a warmth in my chest almost to the point of pain, just wanting to be around him, even if it was to just watch him sit at the piano or watch an English soccer match. It wasn't possible to not fall in love with Spencer Ethan Haywood – he had this unique charm, this beautiful soul that I'm sure anyone would be drawn to.