IV

I never liked clubbing much.

It took far too much effort to get ready on a Saturday night and look at least half presentable. At least it did for me.

As usual, Licia was dressed to kill in a tight fitting sheer black number with sky-high stilettos, her short hair pinned up and back behind her ears. God, where did I get such a good-looking best friend?

According to Licia, who was currently primping me within an inch of my life, we were just about to leave for Viper, one of the most exclusive nightclubs in the city, where, typical as ever, Spencer Haywood had managed to get us into the private section. I swear that man's name works wonders in New York.

We'd gone with the white dress which was unfeasibly tight but held me in in all the right places. My waist looked minuscule, and my breasts, for once, a decent size. I don't know where Licia found her dresses, but they always worked like magic. Her makeup was all dark eyeshadow and thick kohl, whereas mine was light and airy, with only the intense eyes to hint that I was going somewhere that would be dark. Licia had swept my hair up into a side bun, tucking my grown out fringe behind my ear and leaving a few tendrils loose on the other side. I loved Alicia Washington - she had the talent of making me look more fantastic than I could ever make myself.

My stilettos, like Licia's were also incredibly tall. Because of her 5'1 height, Licia always felt the need to be at least shoulder height to the men she had dated, so owned practically no low shoes. These things were killing me, how could she pull them off so effortlessly?

"You look hot, Rodriguez."

I looked down wordlessly, shuffling my feet and attempting not to fall over.

"What the hell has got into you? You're usually so... positive about us going out. I know you don't like clubbing, but you've never been this down before!" Licia put both hands on her hips, "Don't tell me this is about Holloway."

I swallowed, "No, it's just that—"

"It is!" Alicia was indignant, "You are absolutely amazing inside and out Adri, you know that! So stop all of this right now. Holloway was a waste of time and now it's time for you to shine like you did from the moment I met you."

"You think?" I tried and failed to tug down my dress, which was revealing a bit too much for my liking.

"Leave it." Licia slapped my hands away, "I've done an amazing job if I do say so myself. If I wasn't so into guys, I think I'd turn for you in that dress."

"Licia!" I blushed, looking down. I did look good, she'd worked her magic, but not sexy, surely not?

"Brighten up Dri, you look great and we're going to have a good time tonight. We'll get a few drinks in you and that will change your mood. The first thing we'll do is order you a mimosa. I know you have a taste for those." she winked

"You're always trying to get me drunk!" I protested, "Fine. A couple of drinks."

"I think we've reached an agreeable compromise." she grinned, "Come on. Let's go find Haywood."

Balancing on her arm, we walked out into the living space. Spencer was engrossed in some kind of soccer game on TV and no doubt hadn't heard us come in. He couldn't often be separated from the TV when the soccer was on, only if we promised that it would be recorded and waiting for him when we got back from wherever we were going.

"Hey, soccerhead, it's about time we left don't you think?" Licia enquired

No reply.

"Aren't we meant to be leaving now Spencer?" she questioned again.