XXXII

"She's not answering the door, I just know it! She's not going to answer the door because she's mad at me and we'll probably never speak again and I'll be alone in this world without my best friend. I mean, she's been my best friend since we were roommates, Spence, roommates! Some people hate their roommates! But we just got on immediately, like sisters, and now she hates me because I basically took a big, huge, gigantic knife and said, 'Hey Alicia, nice back you've got there. Wouldn't it be such a shame if I stabbed you in it?!" I mean, it's the ultimate betrayal, Spence! I should've told her, I should've just come out and told her. As soon as we started seeing each other I just should've told her, because then we might have avoided all this hate and betrayal and sadness and anger and it's all my fault because I should've just got down on my knees and begged her for forgiveness, because I—'

"Adriana, chill out!" interrupted Spencer, his golden hair disheveled from running his fingers through it, "My God, did you even take a breath just then? You've literally just pressed the buzzer, Licia will be here in a minute."

We were standing in the rain outside Licia's brownstone in Manhattan. The duplex apartment had been a graduation present from her parents who lived in Chicago, and she'd been living there ever since. In the summer, you could open the deep-ledged windows which would effectively serve as a balcony, and Licia, Spencer and I would sit cross-legged eating Chinese takeout from the boxes. I could see the light shining through her draw-down blinds, so she was definitely at home.

The intercom clicked, "Hello?"

I nudged Spencer hard, pushing him toward the receiver. If there was one person's voice she probably didn't want to hear, it was mine.

"Licia. It's me." Spencer said sheepishly.

"What do you want, Spencer?" she replied immediately, a tone of irritation clearly present in her voice.

"I just want to talk. You and me. And...Adriana. She's here as well."

I could hear her loud sigh on the other end of the receiver, "Look, I'm really not feeling up to it right now."

"Please?" Spencer pleaded, "I swear, we just want to talk. Explain this whole thing. It really is a big misunderstanding."

No response.

Spencer looked towards me with sad eyes, and shrugged his shoulders, "I tried." He mouthed.

After a lengthy pause, Licia sighed again, "Come up."

The door buzzed, and Spencer pushed it open with his shoulder, "Showtime, baby." He said, attempting a smile.

Interlacing my fingers with Spencer's, we climbed the two floors up until we reached Licia's door, which was already open.

Spencer, ever the polite guest, knocked to announce our arrival, before swinging the door open further.

And there she was. Licia Washington, my best friend, sitting on her kitchen stool in her sweatpants, a totally passive expression on her face.

"Hi, Licia." Spencer said

"Hi." I echoed, practically hiding behind Spencer at this point. I didn't know what to expect. It was almost as if I was stepping into the lion's den at this point.

Alicia's gaze scanned over Spencer, landing on the purple shadow forming below his eye.

"Antonio's handiwork, I take it?" she questioned, stoically, gesturing towards him.

Spencer nodded.

Licia arched an eyebrow, staring at us with a maddening expression she'd perfected over the years, "So, what brings the happy couple here then?"