XX

I was waiting on the sofa for Spencer when he arrived.

Usually when I came home, I'd change clothes into my sweats or pyjamas and pineapple my hair on top of my head.

But I was still in shock.

I'd signed the senior partner papers with the pen Michael had gifted to me. He'd told me I'd use it for that purpose, but I'd refused to believe him. Now, it seemed like all my dreams were coming true.

The papers had also included the idea for the new company logo which bore my name in script. I'd pinched myself several times to make sure I wasn't making this all up in my head. But there it was when I got home, an email on my phone from the original partners. I couldn't stop looking at it:

Boone Webster Rodriguez

Aligned for Excellence.

So, I sat on the sofa in my dress, my discarded heels nearby, periodically sipping from a glass of wine. It was what I deserved after the harrowing five weeks of tension I'd experienced.

That was until Spencer walked in. I immediately stood up and paced towards him. He kissed the top of my head with a smile.

"You went into work today?" Spencer questioned, eyes trailing down my body, "That's great, baby, really great. Everything okay?"

"I have news, Spence." I murmured, attempting not to make eye contact with him.

"News?" He questioned, frowning whilst loosening his tie, "What kind of new-- shit, Boone and Webster?"

I nodded, keeping up my ruse by looking downcast, "I'm sorry, Spence."

His eyes filled immediately with sadness and empathy and he moved towards me, "Hey, it's alright, baby. It's okay. You're still damn fantastic and you've done so well, don't let this put you off. I know how much you wanted this, but it's all going to work out fine. We'll find you a new job, I promise." He kissed the top of my head.

"I'm sorry." I got out, weakly.

"You have nothing to be sorry for baby, they've clearly made a mistake but you can't let that define you. Everything happens for a reason, good or bad. It's all just a part of a plan we can't see yet."

I glanced up at his perfect face, all concerned, dark eyebrows pulled together over hooded blue eyes and a faint stubble. He was... He was everything.

Suddenly, I realised I couldn't keep this in much longer. I was just about to burst.

"I mean... I'm sorry because I guess I'll be working longer hours from now on...what with my name on the door." I looked up at him, letting a smile hover at my lips.

The expression on his face morphed from one of sadness, to confusion and then I saw that spark in his wide eyes where he became excited.

"Name on the-you...you got it?" there was a tinge of hope in his voice as his eyes bored into mine.

I nodded, smiling and then laughing in disbelief. I couldn't get to grips with it myself. I was a senior, named partner of a major international law firm!

"Say it?" He pleaded, looking to me for confirmation.

"I made partner, Spencer." I nodded, my grin so wide I felt like my cheeks were going to fall off.

Suddenly, Spencer's arms went to my legs and he lifted me up, spinning us in fast circles and chuckling all the while. I screamed in shock, grasping his shoulders and then I couldn't stop giggling like a schoolgirl.