XII

"Michael Montgomery asked me out on a date."

Spencer and I had both returned from work about an hour ago. It had been a long day for both of us, so we'd ordered in Chinese food and snuggled up on the sofa, watching Scandal reruns. I can't say it had been a totally PG evening - we'd made out a few times, mostly during the ads, as a good excuse not to skip them, but it was just like old times at college, bundled into someone's dorm, usually mine and Licia's and crowded round the static television.

And then I went and spoiled it all by saying something stupid like 'Michael Montgomery asked me out on a date.'? Catchy, right?

"He what?"

Spencer jumped away from me, his chopsticks clattering to the hardwood floor.

I rolled my eyes, "Spencer, calm down. I just told you because I thought you should know."

He frowned deeply, picking up the chopsticks from the floor and resting them on his ostentatious glass table, "And what did you tell him?"

"That I was busy!" I exclaimed, "What Spence, you wanted me to tell him about us?"

Spencer sighed, "Well, no, of course not...well, yes of course I do... but....you know what I mean, Adri."

"If we're not telling anyone for a while then that's the way it will have to be." I replied, "Right, Spence?"

"Okay."

"Hey..." I pulled myself towards him, "Don't be mad at me. It's what we agreed, right?"

"Hm."

"Spence, come on." I went on both knees on the sofa and kissed the soft spot below his ear, "Please?"

He groaned, suddenly pulling me into his lap, "Alright, alright. I'm okay. I do trust you, you know that right? It's just...the thought of you with someone else. It drives me insane. And I've already been insane for the last year and a half. I don't want to go there again."

"I understand Spence." I nodded, "Honestly, I do."

The television blared Olivia's voice, mid-argument with Fitz.

"They should totally get together." I said, making myself comfortable on Spencer's lap again.

"Are you kidding?" Spencer exclaimed, "He's a lying, cheating assh*le. Look what he did to Mellie. Uh-uh. Olivia should be with Jake."

"This is seriously going to be a test in our relationship," I replied, eyes narrowing, "Olivia and Fitz are perfect together. I love Mellie but we all know she's second best in Fitz' heart. And as for Jake. The B613 sh*t is just too much."

He rolled his eyes, "Whatever. She won't end up with either of them anyway. She's a strong, independent woman."

I shrugged, sinking back into the sofa, as the TV flickered over to an ad for Olive Garden in Times Square, "You do get why I told you about Michael don't you, Spence? It's so you wouldn't freak out later if it came up."

"Okay." he kissed my forehead, "I appreciate you telling me. No secrets between us. That's the way it's always been, that's the way I want it to stay."

A series of buzzing noises came from the table and Spencer's phone vibrated.

I laughed, "Aren't you going to pick that up?"

Spencer cleared his throat, "Uh—I—no, it's alright. I'll get it later. Work stuff."

"But, Spence, it's your personal cell!"

"It's fine—it's nothing important."

I arched an eyebrow, "What are you not telling me?"