XLV

I sat at the dining room table, a mug of steaming hot ginger tea and a plate of half-eaten toast in front of me, as the Manhattan sunlight streamed through the window, reflecting rainbows from the glass all over the walls.

My head was pounding with every breath I took in, and it was as if I was on a lurching ship in the middle of a storm the way the nausea had hit me.

I was definitely feeling the after effects of last night, it had been a while since I'd drank so much. I was never usually hungover this badly.

Just as I considered stripping out of my clothes and padding back to bed for a lazy Sunday, Spencer walked in from our bedroom in suit trousers, his usual black Italian shoes, and a pressed white shirt, undone at the sleeves.

He frowned, looking over at me, "Still not feeling well?"

I shrugged, taking a sip of my tea, "Not really, but it'll clear soon. Perhaps I just need some fresh air later. A walk in Central Park, perhaps?"

Spencer smiled, as he threaded his cufflinks through his shirt sleeves, "Good idea, baby, as long as you're sure you're feeling up to it?"

"I took some Advil, I'm just waiting for it to kick in. That'll teach me to drink so much. I'll lie down for a bit and I'm sure it'll do a hell of a world of good."

He pursed his lips, closing the distance between us in a few strides to lean down and kiss the top of my head, "That's it, I'm not going to the office."

I rolled my eyes at my wildly overprotective and sensitive husband, "Spence, I'm good, honestly. I promise."

"You're sure?" Spencer sighed, "I can get someone else to deal with the paperwork. I don't want to leave you. I really didn't think you'd had that much to drink..."

I tilted my head up to kiss his lips, "Go. I'm fine."

He grasped my chin with his thumb, planting soft kisses on my mouth, "Okay. I'll be quick. It shouldn't take me any more than half an hour tops, alright? If I'm not back in an hour, just call the office and rescue me from work. I'll take the car so I'm faster. Yeah?"

"Yeah," I nodded, "I'll just take a nap on the sofa until you get back."

With that, Spencer bent down and swept me off the chair into his arms. I squealed in surprise as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He carried me over to his corner sofa, carefully laying me down amid the pillows.

He bent down and kissed my forehead, "I love you, Angel. Get some rest."

I smiled, already feeling sleepy, "I love you too. Go run your empire."

Spencer smirked, looking down briefly at his Rolex, and then back at me, "God, I miss you already."

"Spencer, go, for goodness sake!" I huffed with faux outrage, rolling my eyes.

He smirked at me, playful as ever, and then with one final kiss, he was gone.

*

It was the sound of my phone ringing that woke me.

I couldn't believe I had fallen asleep, and I jerked myself awake, my bones feeling heavy and tired.

The silver lining to the cloud was that my headache had dissipated and there was no longer a dull ache behind my eyes.

Stretching, I leaned over to check who had been calling me to see one missed call from Michael Montgomery.

But that wasn't what surprised me. It was 12.30, at least an hour since Spencer was meant to be back.