XXXV

Fixing my hair in the mirror, I rolled my shoulders back, cracking my over-used muscles.

Last night was...heaven. And it was safe to say I hadn't got much sleep.

Yawning, my hand went to my neck, and I smiled fondly, adjusting my engagement ring on the chain.

I'd decided not to wear my ring to work. Not visibly at least. Whilst I was more than over the moon to be engaged to the man of my dreams, there had been enough drama over the last few weeks, especially concerning me - what with the partnership, and the journalists traipsing through the office to do sit down interviews and features with me - Spencer had saved me from that for the Global thus far, knowing how much I was coming to detest it all. 

But speaking of my fiance, I was just as determined to protect him, as he was to protect me. As soon as the engagement leaked, I knew things would change for us - after all, Spencer was a semi-regular feature in the entertainment tabloids for his escapades, and in the broadsheets for his media baron work.

So, to avoid any unnecessary spectacle, I'd placed my engagement ring - something so beautiful, I still struggled to believe it was mine - on the Cartier chain Spencer had gifted me for my 25th birthday. There it would stay, for a while at least, until I was ready to make this public.

Checking my appearance one final time, I closed the bathroom door and headed out into the main area of our apartment.

There he was, as usual, in all his glory. My man. My Spencer. My fiance. Shirt sleeves and open collar, glasses perched on his nose, reading The Global and sipping his coffee.

I couldn't help but smile. This was one of my favourites, and I stood for a while, indulging myself in the view.

Spencer, who obviously caught movement from out of the corner of his eye, looked up from the paper, and a huge, beaming smile lit up his entire face. Wow.

He grinned, "Good morning future Mrs. Haywood."

I blushed at that. It would sure take some getting used to, but being Spencer's wife was a role I would definitely take up with great joy.

"Good morning, future husband." I replied, feeling my face go all hot.

Spencer smiled, putting down his cup, "Has someone gone all shy all of a sudden?"

I twisted my hands together in front of me. Yes, I suppose that was an accurate description, yet for what reason, I couldn't exactly tell.

"No," I protested weakly, "Maybe...I don't know..."

Spencer tapped his lap, and then extended an arm, "Come here, baby."

Dutifully, I crossed the room and practically melted into his embrace when I reached him. God, I was feeling soppy this morning.

He tilted my chin up with his thumb and planted a soft kiss on my lips.

"You okay?" He asked, "You will tell me if anything is wrong, won't you, baby?"

I shook my head, "Nothing is wrong, Spence. You're right, I guess, I'm just feeling a bit...shy. It's stupid, I know."

He frowned, "Hey, don't say that. I'm never going to delegitimise your feelings, Adriana. If you feel that way, then you feel that way. There's no need to, though. That I can promise."

I wrapped my arms around him tighter, and kissed the top of his head, like he would do with me, running my fingers through his hair.

"Enough about me," I said, "How about you? What's your day looking like?"