XLII

"You ready to get married now, Rodriguez?"

I blinked, regaining conscious thought from staring out of the window at the beautiful sight before me.

Spencer had informed me delicately in the days leading up to the wedding that we might have to have a contingency plan. The weather in London was notorious for souring quickly, and so it was best to cross our fingers to wake up on a decent day.

It seemed someone up there was looking out for me, and the sun was shining gloriously, the perfect sign for our perfect day.

Out of the window, I could see the huge trees which served as the centrepiece for our wedding. The gorgeous white blossoms hung beautifully over the aisle which had been carved out in white and cream flowers, with a collection of white chairs either side.

Over the last ten minutes, I could see our guests beginning to file in. With such short notice I was surprised anyone could come at all, but beside from our wedding party, who were no doubt busy preparing themselves elsewhere, I could see a handful of our joint friends from college and from over the years, a few of Spencer's close confidants from the Global offices in New York and London, one or two of my associates from work...and, if I looked close enough, Simon Webster and Eric Boone together with their wives, milling around with champagne glasses in hand.

It was hard to believe this was my wedding day. That I was getting married. And that I was getting married to Spencer Haywood.

I could picture myself now, gliding down the aisle, ready to meet him. Ready for his hands to clasp mine, ready to look into his eyes and feel safe and at home. Ready for him to become my husband.

"Earth to Adriana!" I heard Licia calling, "It's time!"

I turned, looking at my best friend. She looked ethereal in her pale pink, floor length gown which cinched her in tight at the waist, wearing her natural hair, pinned back into a gorgeous side bun which let her face shine and showed off the diamond earrings I'd bought her for the occasion and to thank her for being my maid of honour.

Right now though she was laughing at me, tapping my shoulder and telling me to hurry up and get down the stairs, and that I was pushing being fashionably late, to actually late.

"Sorry," I said, coming to my senses fully, "Licia, do I look okay?"

She pursed her lips, looking at me with an incredulous expression written all over her face, "Okay? Girl, I'd be surprised if Haywood doesn't faint at the end of the aisle. You look knock out gorgeous. I've never seen a more beautiful bride. Spencer is beyond lucky to have you."

"Don't." I said, fanning my face, "You're going to make me cry."

"Adri, I've already cried like five times today already, you've gotta catch up." she laughed, biting her lip, "Come on, let's get you married before I change my mind and decide old Haywood down there isn't good enough for you."

I giggled, taking her hand as she helped me to manoeuvre my wedding dress down the stairs. Perhaps I should've gone with something less...big. But undoubtedly, it was the best I'd ever felt in a dress in my entire life. When the women in my life: Licia, Mama, Abuelita, Mum and Serena, had helped me into it this morning, I knew I'd made the right choice. I just hoped Spencer would feel the same way.

Standing at the bottom of the stairs was my wedding party. Serena, bouncing up and down on the spot in her bridesmaids dress with her blonde hair neatly coiffed, Antonio, Sebastian and Richard looking dashing in their well-tailored suits, my mother in a giant wedding hat and pencil dress, with Spencer's mom in a gorgeous long dress which suited her short frame.