XIX

It's partner day!

***********************************************************************************

On my drive to the office in my new car, I'd cried.

I cried harder than I'd ever cried before. Harder than when I found out I'd been accepted to Columbia. Harder than when I got my first job. Harder than when Mark left me. Harder than when Spencer had spited me in his office.

I cried for all the things I had lost. I cried for the scenarios and dreams I had pictured of being a lawyer. Most of all, I cried for the little Mexican girl in Queens who had explored the library and come across her first law book aged nine. I cried for my lost potential.

Boone and Webster wasn't everything. I had a family that loved me, friends who cared about me and a boyfriend who practically kissed the ground I walked on. Yet, right now, in that very moment, Boone and Webster was everything to me. It was what I'd been working for without even knowing it.

When I'd joined the company as an intern before I'd even left Columbia, I was full of big hopes and dreams. It was just like I was a little girl again. I could vividly remember trying to fit in with older executives and all of my young, fiercely determined colleagues – people I'd now come to consider as friends. I could remember the day Mr. Webster had given me my own office. The day I became head of criminal. The day I was made a senior associate.

I'd come so far so quickly, there was no wonder my downfall would be catastrophic – Icarus flying too damn close to the sun. 

Alicia had dressed me in a fuchsia sheath dress with a matching jacket and silver heels. My hair was pinned up, but left in its natural state. It was a power-play look, she said, and looked sexy as hell. But despite her pep talk and convincing, my mood was dour as I composed myself and stepped out of the car.

Jared Alexander was the natural choice. Harvard Law Grad, he'd aced the LSAT exam and had a glowing reputation in the court room. DAs loved him. Clients flocked to his door. And in the six years I'd known him, he'd only lost one case.

Boone Webster Alexander.

It has a certain ring to it.

Besides that, Jared was a nice guy. He was cut-throat and brutal, but had a genuinely nice persona, something that the partners no doubt appreciated. I could be happy for him. I would be happy for him.

Doing exactly what Alicia said, I smiled at every single person I walked past on the executive floor of Boone and Webster as I walked over to my office. It was safe to say many people were surprised to see me on decision day. The news of the Cassandra Johnson case had obviously spread and the fact I wasn't taking on any new cases had been the hot gossip of the office, according to Aaron.

No longer were there associates vying for my attention and waving papers around in my face, trying to reel me in. Instead...there was the normal office hubbub - keyboard being typed upon, phone calls being made, distant arguments about cases. The sound of silence.

Unperturbed, I made a beeline for my office, merely acting as normal. It was the best way to try and put this all behind me and the most efficient way of keeping my job.

It seemed as if as soon as I put my hand to my office door keypad to enter my code, Aaron materialized out of nowhere.

He looked disheveled. His navy suit was pressed, but his tie was loose around his neck and his collar half up and half down.

"Adriana!" he exclaimed, walking up to me quickly, "Where the hell have you been?"

I arched an eyebrow at the heavily panting Aaron, "And good morning to you too, Mr. Carter! What can I do for you?"