two

When I blinked my eyes open, two things were very clear. And very much connected.

The first was that Adriana, the woman of my dreams, was wrapped around me like a vine.

She was wearing one of my old t-shirts, one of my old Columbia t-shirts to be exact. One of many of my t-shirts she'd been wearing to bed since she got here.

The pale blue colour brought out the tan of her skin, and the thing dwarfed her, drowning her petite frame in fabric.

She'd pinned up her hair before she went to sleep, but the style had shifted and waves and curls now framed her gorgeous face as her eyelids fluttered and her chest moved up and down.

The second thing which was even more clear, was the tent in my pyjamas, now a regular staple of my morning.

How the hell could you blame me? Waking up to a gorgeous woman in bed after months on end, and not just any gorgeous woman - a drop dead gorgeous woman at that, wrapped all over me?

One of her bare legs was slung across both of mine, and her chest - no bra - was pressed into my side. Her head was tucked just below my armpit, her face tilted upwards, and - f*ck me - she was actually pouting in her sleep. Almost if she was going in for a kiss.

I felt like God was punishing me. What else could it be? Having the world's most beautiful girl all over you in bed, being inches from capturing her mouth with yours, but not being able to lay any sort of claim to her whatsoever...it was cruel and unusual.

What had she said? You're the best friend a girl could have...

I loved being her friend, there was no doubt about it. But I was only lying to myself if I said I didn't want more.

She shifted, groaning at something, her nose scrunching up in the incredibly endearing way I loved, before she settled back down again, damn it, even closer than she'd been before.

My whole body felt like it was hanging on a thread, and with my free hand I attempted to fix my pyjama trousers, but to no avail.

She was biting her bottom lip now, and at that point I knew God was definitely playing a practical joke on me. If I shifted my head just a little to the left, I could bite down on that juicy lip too, and God how I wanted to.

I thought about kissing her, about raking my hands through her hair, plunging my tongue into her mouth. About pulling her body closer to mine, ridding her of that t-shirt, about running my hands over her curves, making her feel good, and finally, finally---

Shit, Spencer, that is seriously not helping!!!

There was no way I could stay here, I was torturing myself. I'd get up, say my prayers, go on a brisk run around the block, take an ice cold shower, then put on the daily performance I'd been doing since she arrived here. The performance that said we were just friends. Nothing more.

But as I tried to manoeuvre out of bed, I must've startled her from her sleep. I practically scrambled out of bed so she wouldn't see the evidence of what I'd been thinking about this morning.

Then, her eyes fluttered open, chocolate brown and wide, and as they focused, a slow smile spread across her face.

I looked back at her from my place perched on the very edge of the bed.

"Hey, you," she grinned, throwing off the covers, showing off miles and miles of mocha-coloured legs, "Good morning."

F*ck. I was so f*cking screwed.

*****************

Adriana and I stood at opposite ends of my piano, playing a silly little game.

The whole morning I'd tried to throw myself into my work, posting myself onto the features desk, getting into the nitty gritty of the latest complicated international politics story.