XVII

An attractive, desirable man that could easily make your mouth water is what some people like to refer to as man-candy. It's easy to know the type of men that usually fit into this category: tall, lean, fit, well-groomed.

I knew what man-candy was very well. My boyfriend fit firmly into this category, even before I'd had feelings for him. But right now, the man-candy I was looking at wasn't Spencer Haywood. And I was feeling more than guilty about it.

I'd stepped out of my office at 12.45, after spending another morning unable to work. The main office floor was in a hubbub. Although no one was rushing anywhere like usual, the few females on the floor chattered excitedly, flicking their eyes over to the door every once in a while.

I frowned. What the hell was going on?

Approaching the gaggle of executive attorneys who right now resembled schoolgirls rather than businesswomen, I tapped on the desk of the closest one to me.

The chatter immediately came to an abrupt halt and Catherine, a blonde haired blue eyed woman in her late 30s turned to look at me with wide, guilt-ridden eyes.

"Miss-Miss R-Rodriguez! Hi! We were just...um-I..."

I rolled my eyes. Why did these women take me so seriously? Did I give off some kind of superior vibe?

"Far from me to curtail your fun," I held my hands up in a mock surrender gesture, causing some of the girls to laugh, "I just wanted to find out what the office gossip was."

"You mean you haven't heard?" hissed Sarah, another executive, conspiratorially leaning in, her expression full of excitement.

"Heard what?"

"Only the hottest older man in the industry!" said Catherine, "Well, apart from Riccardo Alonso, that is."

The girls all giggled, nudging each other with splutters, agreeing heartily.

I arched an eyebrow, "Well, spit it out! Who is it?"

"Michael Montgomery!" squealed a girl in the back.

"He's coming here, to Boone and Webster! The executive offices. He just checked in downstairs and Elizabeth called up straight away. He's so dreamy." Sarah fanned herself with a case report.

"We're just wondering what he's here for, Adriana," Catherine grinned, "Whether he's going to be working with the firm. I wouldn't mind seeing him around the office every day. None of us would."

"Do you know what he's here for Adriana?" Jane, a pretty redhead, said, gathering some files, "What dealings has the famous oil lawyer got here?"

"I'd let him deal with me anytime." Sarah drawled, causing another fit of giggles to start.

I shook my head with a smile and sighed.

"So? Do you know?" Catherine probed.

Not being able to help it, I shrugged, "Well that's easy. He's here to see me."

"You?!" Sarah exclaimed, jumping in her seat, "Is he merging with Boone and Webster? Is he bringing us cases? Is he the new partner?"

"He's here to see me for a business lunch. That's all."

"I wouldn't be able to get any business done in his presence," Jane winked at me, "Are you seeing each other? Oh, Adriana, you're so lucky!"

The girls agreed, murmuring amongst themselves.

"Alright, alright, calm down all of you. Michael and I are not involved in any way. It's business and it's no big deal."

"No big deal! But he's gorgeous!" Catherine swooned.