Epilogue

I would not long for heaven or earth
more than I'd wish to stay here
touched and touching you.

Five years later

My heart pounded in my chest. Why was I nervous again? I took a long look at the view in front of me. It had been a quite a long time since I had been here and I missed it more than I liked to admit. It brought back memories, both good and bad.

The diner looked different, but a good different. I finally plucked up the courage and walked inside. I was immediately hit with the aroma of the food, but more importantly it made my stomach grumble for the delicious food that was calling out to me.

Before I could move another muscle, I heard a loud squeal behind me and the following second I was engulfed in a tight hug which squeezed the life out me. The hug caught me off guard and I stumbled back before luckily steadying myself.

"Elizabeth! You're finally back. I missed you so much." Ani exclaimed in excitement and hugged me even more tighter if that was possible.

"Jesus, Ani. You're squeezing the life out of me." I said, but hugged her back. I missed her antics.

"Okay, that's enough. She's going to pass out if you keep hugging her like that." Caleb said as he somehow detached Ani off me. Jacob stood behind them watching everything with a broad grin on his face.

"It's good to see you again, fool." He said.

I raised my eyebrows and pulled him into a hug, "It's good to see you too, ass." I said, ruffling his hair and effectively messing it up. He scowled at me and pushed me away to straighten out his oh-so-precious hair.

"Am I not going to get a hug?" Caleb said, standing behind me with his outstretched arms ready for a hug.

"As long as I get food on the house." I requested, nicely.

He gave me the stink eye and pulled me into a hug which I gladly returned.

During our little reunion, we realized that everyone in the diner was staring at us as if we had sprouted two heads. We decided getting some food would be a good idea. My stomach definitely agreed.

Jacob and I quietly went to our original place in the diner and took a seat while Caleb and Ani got the food for us. 

Jacob hadn't changed at all, except for the fact that he had this look of maturity. His eyes still twinkled in amusement and mischievousness which I hoped would never fade away.

I wasn't the only one who left this place, apparently Jacob had got his degree in archeology and had temporarily shifted to Egypt. He had just got in today morning. I was proud of him and how far he had come. 

He seemed to be assessing me as well. Physically, I didn't look different at all except for the fact that my hair was shorter than before. The years away had the effect I was hoping for. Mentally, I was a different person and in a different place, in a much happier place. Leaving was the best decision I had ever made.

"You look happy." He stated with a small smile on his face.

"So do you."

"Are you back for good?"

"I am."

Our conversation was cut short by the two lovebirds that brought us our food. People sitting besides us eyed us suspiciously because we had gotten our food before them.