24.

"We are liars . We are beautiful and privileged. We are cracked and broken"

*

Life was a complex work of art

Billions of people walked the earth. Each had an intricate story that led up to this very moment in life. Tragedy, heartbreak, love, birth of life as well as loss of life. Factors like those kept the earth rotating. By looking at a single person, you could never truly reveal their whole life story. To you, they were just another human walking across the streets. But no one could know that they had just lost their mother that same day.

It led us to the phrase, 'never judge a book by its cover.' Which was a great slogan to live by. Although, people could never live that way. We were judgmental and rude and sick. Liars, thieves, murderers. Hungry, greedy for information where it didn't concern us.

The earth was cruel and everyone knew it.

You would never know the true intentions hidden behind the words we were told.

Which was foolish in itself. Knowing people are liars but not having the ability to realize when they were being dishonest, and what they were lying about.

In the grand scheme of things. We were broken. Not two halves of a whole. But trillions of pieces that were shoved onto earth and forced to become one again. Once more, it was unwise. As long as life existed, so would too much hate and not nearly enough love.

We had trust to fall back on. Our friends, family. We put our trust in them in the most unseen ways. Sleeping next to your spouse alone was an unknown form of trust. Who's to say they wouldn't turn around and murder us in the night? Poison the food they cooked for us? Your own life is put in the hands of many people, without you knowing it.

I threw open the door of my vehicle and slammed it closed. So hard I would've assumed the hinges had fallen off. They didn't. luckily.

"Alex, Alex please stop and listen to me for one damn second!"

I overlooked the whiney voice in the background and fixated on controlling my anger. I pulled open the door with the same force and strode through the grand entrance of my home, not waiting to see if she had followed me inside.

"Alex godammit stop it!" the woman shrieked, grabbing ahold of my wrist.

I forcefully pulled my hand away from hers and looked at her irritably. I was sure smoke was soaring through my ears.

She had to have been lying. She couldn't be pregnant. I knew she couldn't.  Sarah and I hadn't had sex in almost two months, and when we did. She made sure she was on the pill and I know for certain she wouldn't lie about it. Right?

"What? What else could you possibly have to say Sarah." She stepped back at my harsh tone and I relaxed a slight amount, not wanting to alarm her more. I was angry, anyone could see that. But the last thing I wanted was for her to fear me.