31.

"Secrets I have held in my heart—are harder to hide than I thought ."

***

Family visits are always fun, does daddy know about his home wrecking daughter?

My eyes scanned over the text for the hundredth time in the past hour, my nails were in awful shape from the constant nibbling I had put them through.

"This can't be happening." I murmured unfocused, I ignored the stinging sensation of my teeth ripping the skin off my bottom lip.

"Do you know who it's from?" Celine asked, eyes glancing over my screen. The worried tone in her voice went unnoticed and I felt a slither of comfort knowing I had someone to keep me grounded through this situation.

"Well, I sort of have a clue."

She stared at me confusedly for a second and I knew it was time for me to come clean about what happened almost a week ago. I wrapped my arms around my knees, pulling them into my chest. I took my time explaining the events of that night to my best friend, including the bruise that was barely visible on my face, making sure I didn't skip a single detail.

"No fucking way." She gasped, her jaw slack on the floor and eyes wide. "And you didn't tell me?"

I knew using her anger at me as an excuse would be low. But that was the only reason why she never knew what happened to me. I hid everything expertly from her eyes, not that she was home much anyway.

"We weren't exactly on speaking terms." I explained, leaning back against the headboard.

The two of us sat on my bed, her feet dangled off the edge of the mattress while mine sat still above my unmade covers, signifying that I only woken up an hour ago.

"Bullshit. You could've still come to me. I would've put everything aside." I knew she was deflecting her guilt onto me with anger, and I knew I wasn't in the wrong, but in some way, neither was she.

"I'm so sorry Gi. I'm so so sorry."

"It's fine Cel. Alex helped me through it. I could've come to you but I didn't so you wouldn't have known."

"Still, I should've checked up on you, it was selfish and I'm sorry."

Despite my heart beating out my chest, I embraced her in a long lasting hug. "It's fine. I'm okay now—this text scares the shit outta me. He knows where I live now."

"What are you going to do? "She asked, stroking my back lightly.

"I think I'm going to show Alex, see if there's anything he can do."

I glanced at the time on my phone. I was fifteen minutes late.

She nodded in approval. "Be careful okay? Take pepper spray with you just in case."