36.

"I appreciate the way you watch me, I can't lie"
***

"I appreciate the way you watch me, I can't lie"***

*

The first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes was the low light cast over the room. The second was all the cords hanging down next to me, for the nurses call button and the IV solutions. An electronic machine sitting on a cart with odd wires leading from it, a privacy curtain hung from a track in the ceiling, shielding me from unwanted eyes.

I turned my head slightly to the side and took note of the bedside table which had a large bouquet of white roses inside an intricately designed vase and reached out to stroke the petals, only then had I observed the pulse oximeter clamped onto my index finger and I frowned.

An aqua coloured water glass was placed directly in front of the flowers, a bent straw perched in the middle. Without much hesitance, I extended my arm and grabbed the drink, wanting to ease the dry, scratchy feeling in my throat.

I ignored the straw and took a big gulp of the leftover water, exhaling when I felt the uneasiness in my throat go away.

A large TV hung in the corner, tuned to a news channel that displayed the usual robbery in the less populated streets of NYC, the remote control seemed to be missing and the nurses wouldn't be able to reach that high to change it, I assumed.

The only sound I could hear was the consistent beeping of the heart rate machine I was connected to and the squeaking of tennis shoes on the hard floor outside my room.

I blinked a few times and sat up in the oddly uncomfortable bed, leaning my back against the stack of pillows behind me. My head pounded erratically against my skull and I groaned at the pain, looking around for some sort of medication to ease it. But before I could find whatever it was that I was looking for, the door opened and the bright hallway lights shone directly onto my face, making me hiss in reaction.

"Sorry darling." After the door shut, and the lights returned to the low level I was accustomed to, I looked up at the seemingly kind nurse who adjusted my IV levels. "Didn't mean to wake you. You feelin' alright?" she asked, pushing her glasses back onto her ears.

I nodded slowly, still slightly confused as to why I was here. I read the nametag sewn onto the middle aged woman's doctors coat. Dr. Henley.

"Do you remember anything at all?" before I could answer, she raised her hand to my forehead and placed the back of it against the skin. "You aren't running a fever, so that's something to be glad about."

"I've prescribed you with a few meds for any pain or discomfort you're feeling. Just the usual iBuprofen, Tylenol and a few over the counter antibiotics that you may have already heard of. It's nothing you aren't used to based on your medical records." She grabbed a few plastic containers off the counter and set them on the table next to me and I stared at them with confusion.