2.

"They say all good boys go to heaven. But bad boys bring heaven to you."

***

I lazily fluttered my eyes open and was met with harsh sun-rays casted into my room and I groaned, immediately pulling the warm covers over my messy nest of hair

I lazily fluttered my eyes open and was met with harsh sun-rays casted into my room and I groaned, immediately pulling the warm covers over my messy nest of hair. For as long as I could remember, I'd slept through most of my alarms on every single occasion. Including forgetting to pick Celine up from a hair appointment and when she strolled in two hours past her pickup time—with great hair of course—she was fuming. She never spoke to me for a whole week and only forgave me once I promised to pick Lily up from school on her behalf. Which wasn't so bad-- I loved the kid and she only harassed me for ice-cream twice, so it was a win-win situation.

A few minutes later, I rolled over and glanced at the time on my phone. It was way too early for me to be up but I powered through anyway, nothing some strong coffee wouldn't fix.

After showering and lathering myself in perfume and essential body products, I threw on a lazy outfit for the morning and groggily made my way downstairs. The smell of burnt pancakes washed over me and I grimaced. The last thing I wanted to wake up to today was our kitchen catching fire because of Celine's god-awful cooking habits.  Usually we picked up food on our way out but I assume she wanted to make sure I ate before I left to babysit three kids whose mom I had just met two days ago. Sarah and I had texted back and forth over time and she seemed nice enough.

I had nothing to lose and the money would definitely come in handy in the future. I knew today would go by smoothly. I was great with kids and was old enough to know what they liked and disliked, how to handle their consistent mood swings and needs and what to do if either one of them got hurt. Which hopefully wouldn't be the case today.

As I approached the spacious kitchen, the burnt smell of pancakes was stronger and I scrunched my nose up, frantically waving my hand in front of my face to get rid of the smoke surrounding the room. In the middle of it all stood my incapable best friend, covering her mouth with her hand as she coughed into it and fanned the smoke away from the smoke alarm.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me."

She spun around once the strong fumes had died out and glared at me as I laughed. "Want me to call the fire department?" I questioned. My eyes slightly red. "Ha-ha very funny." I snickered even more at the defeated look she held, before grabbing my phone and ordering us some breakfast instead. "Ah, the wonders of technology," I spoke. "Now we won't have to starve to death." I patted her shoulder and went over to the coffee machine. Brewing us both a cup before sitting across from her at the island in our kitchen.

I slid the hot mug to her and she smiled at me appreciatively, blowing over the steam to cool it down. "I don't think I'm getting better at the whole cooking thing." She mumbled, more to herself than me. I gave her a look that told her I agreed and she rolled her eyes playfully.