Chapter 5: Sports Festival Fun

My parents didn't seem overly concerned when I arrived home. It seemed they had gotten a phone call from the police detailing the events at the USJ. I guess, since the police told them I was fine and that the villains were apprehended, there was nothing to worry about.

I was glad they weren't making a fuss, but I was surprised at how nonchalant they were being about the whole thing. My father usually went overboard about everything, especially if it could adversely affect our family in any way. I half expected a security detail or an armed bodyguard to be following my every move from now on.

I understood that the police had apprehended some villains, yes, but not all of them...not the ones in charge. I wasn't physically hurt, but I was definitely a bit emotionally scarred watching three of my teachers receive serious injuries right in front of me and being confronted by an actual villain for the first time.

I spent the next day in my room, alone, requesting all my meals be delivered so I could recuperate after my ordeal. At least that's what I told the staff. Truthfully, I just wanted to be left alone so I could game in peace and forget all about what happened at the USJ.

I was a little surprised to see a party invite pop up from one of my old friends from Somei. I put on my headset and said hello to two voices I hadn't heard in quite some time.

"Kana!" they shouted in unison.

"Hey guys, long time no play, how have you been?"

"We're good, but why didn't you warn us that third year was gonna kick our butts?" I heard Akira whine before Ayato chimed in.

"Seriously, it's only been two weeks and the amount of homework is crazy. Although speaking of getting your butt kicked, you know your school is all over the news, right? A villain attack? I thought I caught a glimpse of you in one of the shots. Are you okay, Kana?"

"I'm physically fine. But, I won't lie, it was a pretty scary situation. I watched my teachers literally put their lives on the line to protect us. And I know that'll be me someday. Made me realize how much I need to learn to be prepared for that situation."

There was a long pause before Akira spoke up. "Damn, Kana, when did you get so mature? Must be that two whole weeks in hero school."

I let out a small giggle, knowing he was trying to cheer me up in his own stupid way. "Alright now, back to business. Let your upper-classman show you how it's done. What game are we playing today boys?"

After much deliberation, we decided some monotonous farming, mining, and building in Minecraft was just what the doctor ordered. After several hours it was time to log off, but I couldn't let my two besties go without relaying my gratitude.

"Hey, Aya? Aki? Thanks. You guys don't know how much I needed this today. I've missed hanging out with you."

"Don't be a stranger, Kana. Let's pick a day and make a weekly playdate if nothing else," Ayato suggested.

"Sounds like a plan, same time next week?"

"Yup, later Kana."

"Bye Kana."

"Bye boys."

The Kurakawa twins and I met two years ago when they started at Somei Academy and spent their lunch period glued to their Switches. I soon joined them and we bonded over our love of video games. We didn't really socialize much in the real world. We spent our lunch periods gaming and eating and then played games together online after school.

Yet, there were occasional serious conversations held over those headsets and, thus, Akira and Ayato Kurakawa knew me better than anyone. For the first time in a few months, I went to bed with a smile on my face, happy at being able to reconnect with my friends.