Chapter 63: A Helping Hand

Author's note: I'm sorry it's taking me so long to get the newest chapters out. Now that we're getting further into the source material, I keep misremembering when things happen, since I haven't read/watched the more recent stuff as many times. Anyway, I was almost finished when I realized I had made an error and had to fix it. So frustrating. And that caused a major rewrite, thus, this chapter took a little longer. On the plus side, it turned out to be the longest chapter I've written so far. So, lucky you, I guess. Hope you enjoy it and, as always, thanks for reading!!!

I wanted to go home. But wanting something and making it a reality were two very different things. I had been at the hospital for four days now and was finally able to get up and walk around...but only with assistance. The hospital staff and I had been talking about my release and recovery, but we were getting nowhere. Evidently, I was fine to leave the hospital and finish my recovery elsewhere, but I was only allowed to be released to an adult who could help care for me over the next few days. The disagreements began when they refused to let me leave with the rest of my classmates. Despite insisting he would watch over me, Shoto wasn't an adult and, therefore, couldn't take responsibility. Per hospital regulations, I needed to be released to a parent or guardian. But I had refused to go with my parents. When I said I wanted to go home, I meant UA. And they had been pretty clear about where they stood in regards to UA.

Thus began the endless circle of arguments with the hospital staff. Shoto had stayed at my side, insisting to whoever would listen that UA was a better place for me to rehabilitate. The doctor and nurse in charge of me had similar concerns about whether or not my relationship with my parents would hinder my recovery. But, despite their concerns, the hospital could not release me without a guardian present. I had made my stance perfectly clear. I wasn't going back to my parents' estate, no matter how much they threatened or pleaded...not that I had actually spoken to them.

My parents sent Ken on their behalf, hoping I would listen to him. And while I was glad to see him, I wouldn't leave with him. He had orders to return me to the estate and I wasn't going there. Administrative staff from the hospital had stepped in to mediate, but they couldn't solve the problem either. My last ditch effort was a teacher. Unfortunately, Mr. Aizawa wasn't leaving the hospital any time soon.

If the rumors were to be believed, somehow during the battle he had gotten hit with one of those quirk deleter bullets. In order to save himself from losing his quirk, he had cut off his own leg. He was waiting to be fitted for a prosthetic after he healed properly. My awe of him only grew upon hearing that news. My teacher was really amazing.

But he wouldn't be able to help me now. He needed to focus on healing and taking care of himself. And, as I was now without a homeroom teacher, the hospital and I were at an impasse. I was on my own but I could figure a way out of this. I had to. I made my decision and I wasn't changing my mind...I wasn't going back.

"How did your last meeting go?"

I turned to see Shoto leaning in the open doorway of my room. His voice had a deep rasp to it, but it was still nice to hear. He had been cleared to return to UA as his throat had mostly healed, but had promised to visit me before leaving.

"Not great. It was the same old thing." A member of the hospital board had been called in to resolve the issue but our talks went nowhere. "This is so frustrating," I whined into his chest when he stepped forward and hugged me tight. "I wish I was an adult, then I could just take care of myself." I sighed and sat up to stare at Shoto who looked back at me, a small frown on his face.

The two of us had been through enough family drama to last a lifetime. It really wasn't fair. I wanted to be able to talk with him about what he was feeling, help him through any struggles he may be facing, but right now I was so embroiled with my own mess, I knew he couldn't rely on me. And I hated that. "What should I..." I trailed off. It shouldn't have, but asking for his help made me feel guilty. He had enough on his plate without having to deal with my problems, too. I shook my head and grimaced, mumbling out an apology. "I'm sorry for complaining. I'm sure you have a lot on your mind. I don't want to be a burden to you right now."