Chapter 53: The Media

A week had passed uneventfully and now the weekend had arrived...and it was cold. Winter was here in full force with snow and bitter winds that swept through the UA campus. I was reminded, daily, of how much I disliked the cold, mostly since I liked spending time outside. But I was quick to realize one of the perks of having a wealthy family...my own greenhouse. I wasn't able to use the courtyard anymore for quirk training, but was forced to harvest as many seeds as possible from all my plants before letting them succumb to the elements. It was too much of a strain on my body to try and keep everything alive and thriving in the inhospitable conditions. But being forced indoors renewed my interest in studying specialized uses for plants. I set my sights on mastering the complete growth of a few new species. Specifically, plants where I could utilize individual parts, like the tree I discovered with flammable sap and a couple of highly poisonous flowers. 

After experiencing a few days of this new colder weather, I was forced to admit that the winter had some positives. Such as giving me an excuse to snuggle up to Sho and take advantage of his warmth. While we hadn't had another moment like last weekend, our relationship had evolved yet again. As if to make up for the lack of support from my parents, Shoto took it upon himself to constantly shower me with compliments, hugs, and repeated 'I love you's. It was more than enough to make me feel spoiled and disgust most of our classmates. 

It had also prompted more serious conversations about my family. More than once, usually while snuggled up and complimenting me, Shoto would remind me that the only expectations I had to live up to were my own. It was interesting to me that, out of all my family members, he seemed to dislike my mother the most. I got the impression he wasn't overly fond of my father either, but he had really latched on to my mother's disapproval of me. It must have been because of the similarities to his own family and the tragedy it had brought about, but it was a topic he couldn't seem to drop. I shouldn't have been surprised, but he knew. He knew that the source of almost all my insecurities were due to never meeting my mother's expectations. And I could tell he was determined to tear down every wall I had built up because of her. He really was the best and I felt my confidence growing bit-by-bit, day-by-day.

And as Saturday rolled around, Shoto and Bakugo were getting ready to leave for their final licensing course class. It was now my turn to encourage him, because today was the day they would take their test to finally gain their provisional licenses. I couldn't help but smooth Shoto's shirt and straighten his tie, making sure he looked his best. He didn't appear nervous at all and, although I had all the faith in the world in him, I was a little nervous on his behalf.

"Do your best, Sho. I know you can do it. And remember, no matter what happens, I love you, okay?" I'd been repeating something similar all morning, but I couldn't help myself. I really wanted him to do well. I went to give him one last kiss for luck, but he was no longer in my grasp.

"Enough with the mushy crap!" Bakugo said as he grabbed Shoto by the shoulder and began pulling him behind him toward the door. "I've got an exam to ace! Let's go and walk behind me, Icyhot!"

Shoto shrugged and gave me a small wave, letting Bakugo drag him away. Once they were gone, the rest of us students settled in the commons and began planning a small party for when they came back successful.

"I'll start making some party poppers," Momo said and, sure enough, the paper cylinders filled with confetti began to fall to the floor from her arm.

"Should we make a cake?" Toru asked excitedly. "Who knows how to bake?"

"Kana bakes. Or makes desserts at least. Everything I've tried has been delicious. Do you think you could whip something up, Kana?"

I stood silent for a minute, thinking. I was surprised that Ochako had been the one to bring me into the conversation. She hadn't been as unfriendly as before, but we also hadn't spoken to each other much. Since it was a party to celebrate Sho, of course I would make something. The only question was what.