✨Bonus Story✨

Author's Note:

Hello to all my lovely readers, I know it's been a bit but I've been working hard on my next story (It's so shocking to me to even type that phrase). Much like my own long-held goal of finishing a story, my husband recently accomplished a dream of his own. In celebration of his win, I give you this extra scene. I couldn't help but feel like I left this one aspect of this story unfinished. (Actually there are a lot of unfinished story threads, but I digress) I couldn't think of a good way to fit it in, especially with where I decided to end the main story and it didn't feel right to throw something into the epilogue. So I give you just a little bit more sweetness with this bonus story about Kaede and Shoji 😘

Kaede had been living in the 1-A dormitory for over a month. She knew that she was supposed to be scared for the fate of the country, nervous that she had left the safety of her parents' home and ventured out alone...but she had never enjoyed herself more. She had the freedom to do whatever she wanted and to be whomever she wanted.

She had spent the bulk of her time lazing around the dormitory, occasionally helping out with cleaning, but didn't go near the kitchen since she had no idea how to cook anything. She could often be found lounging on a sofa in the common room reading a new manga volume someone had been kind enough to loan her or mindlessly scrolling through her cellphone. But her favorite hobby was to sit on a barstool near the kitchen with the sketchbook Yaoyorozu had been kind enough to make for her and create pencil drawings of the dorm residents. She'd done rough sketches of everyone, but had taken extra time and gone into more detail when drawing Kana, Todoroki, and Shoji.

While she had first been drawn to his physique, Shoji had slowly charmed Kaede further, without even knowing it, due to his continued acts of kindness. And not just towards her. He exuded sincerity and warmth in everything he did. She had made a deliberate effort to engage him in conversation and be around him as much as possible. She wanted to know more about him, wanted him to realize she was serious about pursuing something with him. That she was more than a silly girl acting on a whim.

But she was surprised to find him hesitating to be around her recently. She had a guess as to the reason, but she wasn't going to let him distance himself without a proper conversation first. Finding him sitting alone one afternoon, she approached despite seeing his posture shift once he noticed her.

"Hi, Shoji," she said, sitting down next to him.

"Good afternoon."

"I had something I wanted to ask you about," she said leaning a little closer to him. "I know that everything is crazy right now, what with the villains and everything. And even once everything goes back to normal, I'm not sure where I'll end up. I mean, I left home so I don't know if I'll have to change schools or where I'll even be living." She let out a soft sigh to reset herself, realizing she was babbling. "Anyway, once everything is settled and the country's back to normal, I'd like to let you take me out on a date. What do you think?"

Kaede tried her hardest not to fidget in her seat as Shoji quietly stared at her for a long time. Finally, he brought up a hand, pulling the mask from his face. She wasn't surprised. She had already seen his scars. The day class 1-A had their big tell-all share fest, Kaede had been leaning against the wall out of sight. It hadn't been her sister's story that had moved her to tears that day, but Shoji's. She'd quietly cried listening to him talk about the violence and hate he'd endured as a young boy. And when she'd finally come out to speak on Kana's behalf, she couldn't stop herself from glancing over at the boy she'd grown fond of and taking in the sight of his uncovered face.

"I know you've seen my face already but not from this close. Do you really want to go on a date with someone that looks like me? Or do you just feel sorry for me?"

Kaede could see why he would think that way. Maybe he thought she was trying to atone for her family's past deeds by showing interest in him. Or maybe that she wanted to do something nice for the boy who'd been hurt. But that wasn't the case at all.

"I would really like to go on a date with you. I don't care what your face looks like. Besides," she gave him a little smirk, "I'm pretty enough for the both of us, don't you think?"

"Yeah, you are...." Shoji's face turned bright red as he hid the hand that had thoughtlessly spoken behind his back. "I mean...um, yes...I...uh..." he shook his head and sighed. "You're a very beautiful girl. Even more reason why you could date someone better than me. Someone who doesn't have scars."

"You know I heard someone say once that everyone has scars. They're just not all visible. And all scars, both visible and invisible, make us who we are. I've tried to tell Kana that. She earned those scars on her legs by standing up to defend someone she loves. She should wear them like a badge of honor, to show everyone that she faced adversity and is stronger because of it. You're the same."

"I understand wanting to wear a mask while doing hero work to put people at ease. But when you're here," she said gesturing to the dormitory around them, "when you're in your home, you shouldn't have to hide who you are. That's what I've been trying to get across to my sister and I hope you understand that, too. I'm not pressuring you to do something you're uncomfortable with but..."

Kaede lifted her hand up slowly, hesitating near his face to give him time to turn her away. But he didn't. Her fingers delicately traced along the scar near his lips. "I'm not afraid of your scars and I don't think anyone else who considers you a friend would be either. You don't need to hide them around us."

Kaede watched the boy, waiting for him to respond. But he stayed silent, looking deep in thought. But he hadn't pushed her away. Maybe he just needed a little more encouragement. Fortunately for her, Kaede had a knack for knowing exactly what to say to get what she wanted. And what she wanted was a chance, just the chance, to be with this future hero. She wouldn't force him or cling to him if he turned her down, but the fact that he hadn't dismissed her outright let those small flames of hope well within her. And if the past few months had taught her anything, it was when she finally decided to take action, Kaede was bold.

Her hand was still resting on his face, so she began to run her fingers south along his jaw. Leaning just a bit closer, she whispered. "I don't dislike your scars. I'm not turned off in any way by your face or your arms. Actually," she said with a grin, trying to lighten up the tense atmosphere, "I think your arms are quite the turn on." She brushed the fingers of her other hand along the muscles of his bicep, causing him to flinch then turn red again. Kaede giggled softly and pulled her hands away from him. She propped her elbow on the back of the sofa and leaned in just a little closer to whisper in his ear. "So is that a yes on the date, then?"