Chapter 10: Villains and Heroes

The third day of my internship we took a longer break mid-day. I was exhausted from using my quirk so much and Shinji had paperwork to catch up on. He was scheduled for the night patrol this evening, so we both needed to rest up to be at full strength. I was tired enough that I was able to get a long nap in before dinner and the start of our patrol.

Patrolling at night was a lot different than during the day. It was quieter with less people milling about yet the lengthening shadows made everything seem more sinister. The average person probably wouldn't see it that way but as a hero in training, I felt myself on edge, trying to stay alert to any dangers that could be lurking.

With most people tucked safely away in their homes and storefronts closed down, our late night patrol was mostly done from the rooftops.

"In the day, I like being down with the people but at night it's much easier to spot a disturbance from a higher vantage point. Plus with my maneuverability, I can reach an emergency faster if I'm already at this height."

His words made sense to me. Not that villains never struck during the day, but the more dangerous ones would prefer to operate in the shadows. The faster a hero's response, the more likely the crime would be stopped.

As if on cue, an alarm began ringing from one of the stores in the commercial district.

Shinji immediately took off in the direction it came from.

"Follow my lead, Gaia. Stay behind me and wait for instructions."

I swung through the air, following behind him. I already had a bit more control over swinging my vines but I was losing ground to him. Still, I could see where he landed and cautiously approached a window broken out of a storefront.

I landed next to him as he inspected the scene. "There's no one here, and it doesn't look like anything's been stolen. I think someone broke the window and that set off the alarm."

A second alarm went off from somewhere nearby, the tone slightly different from the first. "Another one?" I asked, looking around the deserted street. A third cry pierced through the air. "What's going on, Kamui?"

"I'm not sure but I'm calling for backup." He pulled out his phone but he paused before making the call. "Someone set off a silent alarm two blocks over. This feels like a coordinated attack. Multiple alarms will spread us thin. The criminals will most likely get away before we can find their actual location. I want you to get up high and be my scout. I'm heading to the silent alarm they triggered. Put in the earpiece I gave you so we can communicate. Let me know if you spot anyone.

As he sped off down the street I pulled myself up the side of the tallest building on the street. Putting the small receiver in my ear, I scanned the area looking for any sign of criminal activity.
There. Two figures standing outside a store on the next street. It looked like they were trying to pick the lock.

"Kamui I've got two suspicious characters, trying to break into a store."

"The police are on their way. I've apprehended two more. Seems like they didn't know about the silent alarm. Send me the location. Do not engage them on your own. Just watch and wait for backup."

The two criminals got the door open quietly. No alarms were blaring except from the stores with broken windows. A clever plan actually; distract us with false emergencies hoping the real crime would go unnoticed. On cue, another shriek rang through the air. From my vantage point I could see a smaller figure running away from a broken window, heading in my direction. At the same moment, the two figures emerged from the store and began casually walking down the street.

So these criminals had one group smashing windows, acting as a decoy while the others robbed completely different stores. I relayed this info to Kamui but he didn't sound too happy.