Chapter 31: Calm Before the Storm

I sat at a table in the common room with my usual study group after we were dismissed from class. We'd only been back in classes for a few weeks, but already had quizzes to study for. I pulled out my practice sheet for math and began working through the problems. When everyone was finished, we compared. Unsurprisingly, we all had the answers correct. The four of us were pretty good at math. Next came history and that was mostly spent reviewing notes and making sure we all had the same information. Shortly before dinner, Ochako came down and sat next to Midoriya, asking if he would look over her math worksheet. I didn't glance up from my spot across the table next to Shoto. If she had asked for my help, I probably would have given it to her, despite how badly she'd treated me in recent weeks. I must have subconsciously tensed up, because I felt Shoto bump his knee into me before pressing his whole leg against mine under the table. I looked over to see him smiling softly at me.

"It looks like dinner is just about done. Would you like me to make you a plate while you finish copying Iida's notes?" he asked.

"Sure, thank you." While he went to grab our dinner, I copied the last of the notes and handed Iida's notebook back to him. I sat quietly, waiting for Shoto to return with my food, but was shocked when Ochako cleared her throat and began speaking to me.

"Kana, are you feeling okay after taking that hit from Bakugo?"

"Yes, I'm fine, thanks. Recovery Girl fixed me up."

"I know how tough he can be. You should really be more careful. Try not to get involved in things that are out of your league. We wouldn't want to see you get hurt."

"Thanks for your concern," I mumbled out, realizing this conversation was no longer about Bakugo.

Shoto was back with my food before she could say anything else, but I was surprised when Iida, of all people, spoke up in my defense.

"But Uraraka, if we don't push past our comfort zones, we won't grow. We should all be pushing ourselves to take on bigger challenges. Satori will never be able to beat Bakugo if she doesn't throw caution to the wind and fight him."

"You're right, of course, Iida. I would just hate for Kana to get hurt more than she already has."

"I can take care of myself, no need to worry about me," I said before digging into the stir-fry in front of me, effectively ending the conversation.

Shoto began eating next to me, but I felt his hand settle on my knee. I glanced at him and he leaned closer to whisper, "what was all that about?"

I glanced across the table and realized Midoriya and Ochako were gone to get food while Iida was putting his books and notes in order. "Ochako was basically telling me to know my place," I said quietly. "She framed it as concern for my health after fighting Bakugo, but she was warning me away from you." I glanced over to where she was filling her plate and saw her talking with Momo. As they began to walk back towards us, I groaned. "And they're planning to do it again."

Shoto followed my gaze to see the girls headed our direction. "We could just tell them," he said while giving my knee a squeeze.

"It's fine, I can handle it. Please, let's just wait a little bit longer, okay?" I reached down and covered his hand with my own and prepared myself to deal with Momo sitting next to Shoto.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by the screech of chairs being pulled out and a loud voice. "Hey, hey guys, how's it goin'?" Kaminari sat in the empty seat next to Shoto. Across from us, Kyoka, Kirishima, and Sero sat with their dinner plates. "Satori," Kaminari leaned forward to look past Shoto, "would it be cool if we all came and gamed with you tonight?"

I looked at the four of them in surprise. "Um, I usually play with Todoroki and Midoriya on Friday nights, but if they're fine with it, I am too."

Midoriya, who had finally returned to the table and settled in on my other side, quickly responded. "I'm okay with that. It could be fun to play with a big group."