Chapter 29: Wingman

I walked into the common room to see Momo and Kyoka in the kitchen. Kyoka spotted me and met me in the dining area.

"Hey Kana, do you have any carrots growing in the courtyard that we could use for dinner? Yaomomo didn't read the recipe right and bought three carrots instead of three bunches." She shrugged sheepishly.

"It's no problem. Thank you for asking," I said as I headed out to the courtyard.

"We wouldn't have known which plants were carrots anyway," she said following me out. "Although, I have always wondered what all you grow out here. I mean I can see the fruit trees and some of the flowers, but there's a lot that I don't recognize, aside from being a tree or a bush."

I walked over to my vegetable plot and began digging up some carrots, growing them a bit faster than they'd progressed naturally. "This garden is all vegetables. The bushes on the opposite side are berries and obviously the fruit trees have fruit. Some of the other trees I use to make weapons. Most of the flowers are just because I like them. They're pretty and they cheer me up to see them." I held the three bunches of carrots in my hands and began walking back inside.

"Here, I can take those from you. Oh," she paused as she lifted the carrots out of my hand, "they're covered in dirt."

I chuckled and held the door open for her. "Yeah, I just pulled them out of the ground." I walked with her to the kitchen where Momo was cutting up potatoes. "Wash them in the sink to get most of the loose dirt off. It won't matter if you get it all since you'll peel them before you cook them."

"Peel them?"

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Yeah, you peel carrots."

"I didn't know. I never cooked before moving into the dorms and this is my first time using carrots."

"It's fine. Here I'll show you real quick." I grabbed the vegetable peeler out of the drawer and showed her how to use it to get the thin peel off the carrot. "See, then you can give the carrot a final rinse before you cut it to use."

"Thanks, Kana. You're right, it's not hard or anything, I just didn't know. Hey, Yaomomo did you know you were supposed to peel carrots?"

"No." She turned quickly to look at me, panic on her face. "Was I supposed to peel these potatoes too?"

"Depends on what you're making. Sometimes you leave the peels on. It's not a big deal either way as long as you wash them first."

Momo's eyes widened and a part of me wanted to laugh, but the other part felt bad for her. She was trying really hard, but she had never been in a position where she had to know these things. I shouldn't know these things either, except I spent a lot of time in the kitchen growing up. Mostly sneaking dessert and learning how to bake, but I still picked up a few things. Plus the chefs had given me some pretty intense lessons before moving into the dorms. I was in a pretty good mood, for obvious reasons, and it was in part thanks to Momo, so I decided to help her out.

"It's okay Momo. We can fix it." I got a large bowl from the cupboard and filled it with water. "Dump the potatoes you've already cut in here. We'll wash them up." I grabbed a strainer as I watched her pour her cut up potatoes into the bowl. Luckily, she hadn't cut up too many so she wasn't that far behind. We rinsed the potatoes then dumped them into the strainer. I showed her how to repeat the process until the water was clear. "Now, before you chop another potato, use the peeler to remove the skin. Once all the skin is gone give it a quick rinse to remove any residue. Then it's good to cut up and use."

"Thanks, Kana. You make it look so easy."

"It's just something I've done before. Once you get the hang of it, you two will be cooking like pros in no time. Good luck!"