Chapter 27: Girl Problems

I woke up Saturday morning and didn't bother moving from my bed. I had cried myself to sleep last night. I can't remember the last time I did that. But the thought of losing my best friend both terrified and depressed me. I honestly didn't know if I could handle being rejected by him when he was the one to make me finally feel accepted. The fact that I was, once again, letting another person determine my worth made me feel worse, even though I knew this was somehow different.

I laid in bed, my mind racing, playing out best and worst case scenarios. I had completely lost track of time when I heard a knock followed by my door opening.

"Why are you still in bed? Midoriya and I are getting ready to head to the store to get snacks for tonight. What do you want? You've got to be starving since you didn't come down for breakfast."

I grabbed my phone and saw it was nearly noon. I didn't realize it was already so late but food was the last thing on my mind for once.

"I don't really want anything, but thanks for asking, Todoroki."

"Satori? Why are all your plants wilting?"

I finally sat up and glanced across the room to see he was correct. Evidently my emotions were surging again to the point I was subconsciously affecting my plants. They were drooping because I was depressed. I quickly brought them all back to life, but not before Todoroki got a good look at my face.

"Have you been crying? What happened? Are you sick?"

"It's nothing. Just girl problems. I don't really want to talk about it."

"Right, girl problems. Okay. Stay here. I'll be back in a bit, I promise," he said as he left the room in a hurry.

I must have been quite the sight with the way he scurried out of my room. Maybe it was for the best. I got up to wash my face, but returned right back to bed. Yeah, I was throwing myself a pity party. But I was in a bad way. My mind couldn't stop thinking about every interaction I'd had with my classmates.

Like the boys coming to my room last night. They didn't really come to hang out with me, they came because I had the video games. I sparred with some of my classmates, but they only chose me to teach them because I had the most knowledge on the subject. I sat with a group at lunch because Todoroki dragged me there all those months ago. It's not that any of them wanted me there. Iida had known me for years and only now hung out with me on occasion...again, because of Todoroki. I thought that I got along well enough with the other girls, but if yesterday showed me anything, it was that they tolerated me, at best. Maybe I wasn't completely worthless in the eyes of my classmates...only worth what they could get out of me. No one bothered to try to get to know me, outside of what I could do for them. Aside from Todoroki, no one really knew anything about me.

And of course, again, my thoughts went to Momo and how Todoroki would be much better off with her. He wouldn't have to deal with any drama with her. He'd have someone who'd look perfect at his side. I was only bringing him down since everyone liked her and just accepted my existence. And that was before they knew about my family. They'd hate me even more if they knew where I came from.

I finally sat up and pulled my knees tight to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. Head down, I fought off tears as I began wondering if it would have been better to have never accepted Todoroki's kindness in the first place. I could have easily shut all these emotions down if it wasn't for him. He had encouraged me to open up, drop my mask, and look where that had gotten me. I should have stayed alone...no one had the power to hurt me this much if I was alone.

My thoughts were interrupted by my door opening. I looked up to see Todoroki struggling with the door, a few grocery bags in his hands.

"What's all that?"