Chapter 51: The Satori Family

Author's note:

You guys....I did not mean to leave you on such a big cliffhanger 😓 I'm sorry. I had a retreat, followed by moving day, followed by a quick vacation with the hubby. Writing just wasn't gonna happen. Please forgive me 🙏 and enjoy the episode that has been a long time coming, Shoto meeting the parents.

"Kana."

We had barely stepped foot into the lounge and the sound of my name coming out of my mother's mouth was enough to let me know she was displeased.

"Hello, Mother," I said while gripping onto Shoto's arm.

"You're not wearing the dress I sent you. Where did this one come from?"

"Grandma bought this for me when I visited her. And are you talking about that black dress you sent me a couple months ago?"

"Yes, I specifically chose it for you."

"I'm sorry, Mother, but I don't wear black anymore."

"I see." My mother's eyes traced me up and down. I could tell she was looking for some kind of flaw in my appearance, but I felt that she'd be hard pressed to find one tonight. "I suppose you look acceptable. Make sure you take a close look at your sister tonight. Kaede is flawless. I know it's impossible to reach her level, but you should strive to be as perfect as possible. Your accessories could be better."

Her gaze swiftly moved to the boy at my side, assessing him. "Your grandmother told me you had procured a date, but I was skeptical. Who might this be?" she asked, tilting her head at Shoto. "I have someone on standby if needed."

"Mother, this is Shoto Todoroki. He's a hero course student in my class."

"Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Satori," Shoto said while politely bowing his head.

"Well," my mother said as she scrutinized his appearance, "he certainly is handsome enough to serve as a proper escort. He appears to be well-mannered, too. I approve. How did you get someone like him to agree to come with you?"

"Actually," I tightened my grip further in an attempt to steel myself as I looked straight into my mother's eyes, "Shoto's my boyfriend and he insisted on accompanying me."

"Boyfriend? Don't be ridiculous." My mother began to lightly chuckle.

Shoto released his arm from my grip and, instead, wrapped it around my waist, pulling me close into his side. His hand clenched at my hip and I could tell he was trying to appear calm. I think he was shocked to hear my mother repeatedly insulting me to my face, but it really wasn't anything new.

"She's being quite serious, ma'am. We've been together for several months now. I'm thankful to be able to attend this event by her side."

My mother's laughter abruptly stopped and she stared at us, eyes wide. "I see." A small frown appeared on her face as she studied us further.

Luckily, the sound of someone calling my name interrupted the awkward moment.

"Kana! Sweetheart, you look gorgeous," my grandma gushed, coming up to stand beside me. "And, Shoto, dear, it's nice to see you again. As if you weren't handsome enough, you've blessed these old eyes by wearing that tuxedo."

"Thank you for the compliment, Mrs. Fujiwara."

A big grin on her face, Grandma turned away to face my mother. "Kaori, dear, Kaede sent me to get you. Something amiss with her dress, it seems." Grandma motioned to the corner of the room, where my sister was standing.

Kaede gave a small wave before beckoning my mother to come with her hand. But as my mother turned to leave her glass with a passing waiter, Kaede sent a smile in my direction along with an exaggerated wink, before returning to her normal expression.