Chapter 62: Pain

***I stumbled across this song again recently and it reminded me so much of Kana and what she is going through with her parents. Give it a listen if you want an idea of what Kana's been feeling up to this point***

Eijiro Kirishima sat in a chair beside a hospital bed, his gaze switching between the unconscious boy laying there and the angry mob gathered outside the window on the street below. The nurse told him that Todoroki should be waking up soon, they were only waiting for the sedative to wear off. Most of the students had minor injuries, scrapes and bruises, but the few who had battled against Shigaraki, Dabi, and the nomu were still unconscious. Of the four who were severely injured, Todoroki was supposed to awaken first. And that was why Kirishima sat next to his bed. It had only been one day, but their world had been turned upside down.

He didn't even know where he was supposed to begin. They had all seen the video of Dabi at this point. It was difficult to deny his claims and the massive crowd of reporters outside demanding answers only proved the veracity of his words. If that wasn't bad enough, the reporters had a field day upon spotting Jun and Kaori Satori entering the hospital. It was only made worse when Mr. Satori had returned to speak to the press about his daughter's heroics.

Kirishima knew that Satori was keeping secrets for a reason. A good reason if the whispered words of some of his classmates were anything to go by. He also knew that Todoroki was the person best equipped to handle it all. Todoroki would be able to give everyone a proper explanation, which was why he found himself wishing the guy would wake the hell up already! Satori was going to need him and he was going to need Satori if they were going to make it through this unscathed.

When Kirishima first arrived at the hospital, after he had been checked out, he spent his time wandering between the rooms that held his classmates, searching for more information. But he hadn't been allowed into Satori's. Flashing his friendly smile at the nurses' station had enabled him to learn that Satori wasn't awake yet. But that was all he knew. He could picture the subdued and sad look on her face when she finally woke up and learned what had happened while she was sleeping. He really wanted to be there, to reassure her that they were still her friends no matter what, but if the security teams roaming that section of the hospital were to be believed, no one would be seeing Satori anytime soon. It wasn't a safety precaution. Her parents had locked down her room with only medical staff being allowed inside.

His best course of action at this point was to wait on Todoroki. He would also need reassurance that no one was thinking badly of him. He had faith that Todoroki would know what to do. Kirishima nearly jumped from his chair when the boy in front of him finally began to stir. He watched as Todoroki lazily blinked his eyes a couple of times before focusing on Kirishima. A breath of air left Todoroki, making a choking sound, before his hand shot to his bandaged-covered throat. Another wheezing breath left him and his widened eyes shot to Kirishima.

"Don't try to talk. Your throat's been burned. They said it'll take a couple days before you fully recover. Here," he said, reaching toward the table next to the bed and holding out a small notepad and an ink pen.

He watched in silence as Todoroki frantically began to write. How long have we been here? What happened to Kana? Dad? Midoriya and Bakugo? Is everyone okay?

"We've been here a little over a day. Everyone had to go through surgery of some kind, but they're all still unconscious, though I'm not sure about Endeavor. They're not really letting anyone near him. Um, same with Satori. Her parents showed up and have basically locked down her room," he said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. He knew bringing up Satori's parents was going to be unpleasant and he knew he was right when Todoroki slowly sat up to stare at him, his eyes cold, before he began furiously writing.