Chapter 38: Lucky Ones

I could feel the eyes of my classmates on me. They were probably just as shocked as I was, although they didn't know I had met Edgeshot once before. I wasn't going to have a bunch of people looking over my shoulder when I read what was inside, so I excused myself and went to my room. As soon as I entered, I quickly opened the envelope, pulling out several sheets of paper. The first was a letter from Edgeshot.

Ms. Satori,

It has been some time since we last met, I hope you are doing well. Kamui Woods informed me that the UA first years are being permitted to seek out work studies. I would like to offer you an opportunity to work for my agency. It is still unofficial, but I am in the process of creating a team of strong heroes who will fight crime side-by-side. If you accept the work study, you would become an unofficial member of this potential team, working alongside other heroes besides myself. If that is something that appeals to you, I have attached a contract offering you employment as well as a schedule for when your services would be regularly needed. At my discretion, there may be other times you are called upon for assistance. I have been assured that this arrangement will be agreeable to you. I am looking forward to working with you soon,

Edgeshot

I looked over the second sheet of paper and, like the letter said, it included a schedule for when I would be expected at the agency and the hours I would be working. A third sheet was a contract for me to sign that included expected workplace duties, an employee code of conduct clause, and an hourly wage. The last sheet was another letter, this one from my cousin.

Kana,

I hope that what Edgeshot and I put together exceeds your expectations. It's not official yet, so don't say anything to anyone, but we're working together to form a team-up effort. So, you're not rid of me yet, kid. I look forward to working with you again.

Shinji

This was going to be huge news when it hit. Edgeshot was a top 5 hero. Anyone who teamed up with him was going to see a huge popularity boost. Shinji was about to make it big. I was happy for him, but it made me nervous. If I was working alongside Edgeshot, it was only a matter of time before my hero name made the news. I knew I needed to be ready for my identity to be leaked. At this point, it was probably only a matter of time. It would be smart to come up with some type of a plan to deal with the inevitable fallout, but for now, I would focus on making sure this work study was a success.

Sitting at my desk, I began to look over my schedule. Edgeshot wanted me to work in the evenings. Since I could commute each day, I wouldn't have to miss any classes, but it would cut into my extra training time. I would have to make some changes. Mr. Aizawa would be the first person to talk to as I'd have to change my sessions with him. We sparred tomorrow evening, so I wouldn't have to wait long.

As I filled out the paperwork, signing the contract that would grant me employment, I was excited for Shoto to get back from his extra lessons. I really wanted to share my news with him. Although I knew it would probably be hard for him, I also knew he would be my biggest supporter. I headed downstairs and went to work in the courtyard while I waited for him. I angled myself toward the windows so I could see when he came back. And it wasn't too long before I saw my classmates, huddled near the door, welcoming the boys back.

I brushed myself off and made my way inside only to find myself stopping to watch the scene in front of me. Bakugo and Shoto had separated themselves, but were each surrounded by classmates, asking how their day went. Bakugo had his usual group pestering him while he pretended to ignore them, yet still angrily answered all their questions. Shoto had Iida, Shoji, Tokoyami, Ochako, Tsu, and Momo grouped around him. As I approached, it seemed they were discussing the different drills he had run today.