Chapter 42: Normal Teenager Stuff

Shortly after Shoto left for his supplementary lessons, I packed my school bag and headed to campus. I had made the decision to start some research. Way back, before summer break, Mr. Aizawa had asked us to think about areas we needed to improve upon. Since I was still living at home, improving my stamina was at the forefront of my mind. But with earning my provisional license and working alongside Edgeshot, I was now more confident in my abilities. What I needed to work on now was more strategic and knowledge based. And since things had calmed down recently, I finally had some time to devote to studying.

I headed to the library and pulled several books on different types of flora. I had done a little bit of research in my spare time here and there, but now I wanted to study in earnest. I grabbed a generic book of plants indigenous to Japan, a book on aquatic plants, another about the world's deadliest plant life, and, lastly, one about hardwood trees. My goal was to find new plant life that could be utilized in my hero work. Before, I had been limiting myself in how I grew my plants. I didn't want to make the same mistake in limiting myself in which plants I grew. I wanted to look for a harder tree to use for breaking through walls. I wanted to familiarize myself with plants grown in the water. Honestly, my plan was to skim through these books and see if anything sparked my interest.

An hour in and I had found a few prospective plants to further research and try to locate to practice with. But my studies were interrupted by my phone signaling a notification. I smiled upon seeing the picture Shinji had texted me. It was a selfie of himself alongside Edgeshot and Mt. Lady in front of the agency, along with a short message.

Shinji

Finally official! I can't believe it took so long but our team-up was approved. We're waiting for you, so come back soon!

He was right. It had taken longer than expected for their team-up effort to be approved by the Heroes Commission. Regardless, it would be all over the news soon and big news at that. I was happy that Shinji was going to be getting more recognition now, but it put me in a tough spot. I needed to make a decision about whether or not to remain an anonymous hero. And I needed to decide before they reinstated our work studies.

Thoroughly distracted from my research, I packed up my notes and returned the books. I knew it would still be a while before Shoto got back. As I entered the dorms, I was debating on what to do to kill some time, when Iida stopped me.

"Satori, a package was delivered for you," he said, pointing to a large box sitting in the hallway. 

It was awkwardly sized, so instead of trying to haul it to my room, I dragged it to the dining room and grabbed a knife from the kitchen. Once opened, the package revealed shoes, clothes, makeup, and a black garment bag. "Ugh, more stuff from my mother," I muttered to myself.

But I was surprised by a hand on my shoulder and Kyoka's head popping up beside me to peer into the box. She began taking everything out, one by one, and placed it on the table next to us. Not saying a word, she inspected the contents and began separating it into two piles. Once that was done, she unzipped the garment bag to reveal a black floor length gown. 

As Kyoka pulled the dress out of the bag and held it up, I inspected it. It was pretty typical of what my mother would choose for me to wear to an upscale event. It had three-quarter length sleeves, a deep v-neck covered by a sheer black overlay, and a full skirt with ruffle details.

Kyoka stared at the dress, a look of disgust on her face. "Nope. No. Just no. This dress is horrible. I can't even imagine who this would look good on. I don't know why she'd send you some fancy gown, but it's obvious your mom has no clue when it comes to you. Don't move, I'll be right back."